Skip to main content

Stuck rear brake on Lorry

More
3 years 6 months ago #215417 by cobbadog
When I cam home in Lorry the last time It bought I could smell something but could not pin it down. Then when I went to move Lorry the other day I had a bit of a problem, he would mould move but I had to put the foot into him to get him to move a little bit. So today I went around and found that the rear drivers side is stuck. Now these brakes have always been very good at pulling up, never had any issue at all with Lorry rolling on a very slight incline so why it has stuck on is a mystery. Now al of this is new to me so I need a bit of advise please. First I had to break out the nut cracker to undo the inner and outter wheels nuts to get access to the brake drum. I found 3 14mm bolts that appear to be what holds the drum in place so I removed them and there was also 3 holes same size that have something solid at the bottom of the holes and so I thought that these may be jacking points to screw the bolts into and put a bit of pressure on them to pull the drum off.

Is this correct?
I have put a small amount of pressure on them and have started to bump the outside of the drum with a soft hammer. So far no movement.
Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215418 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
You need to adjust the brakes so the shoes are right in, especially if there is a ridge on the drum. Haven't dealt with Hino before but on Isuzu had to take the whole hub off to get at the brakes, ended up installing new bearings while I was at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago #215420 by Mrsmackpaul
I reckon mammoth has the good oil and just like mammoth I have never done Hino brakes before

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215421 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
If the brakes are stuck on, then they're holding onto the drum.
Like the others, back the shoes right off until drum can turn. (if it came be done.)

You may need to get a crowbar between the studs and lever the wheel to crack it free of the shoe.

Also, is there a n inspection hole on the backing plate to see how much clearance there is between the shoes and drum?

Also, looking at the photo, I'd remove those 3? bolts and use them to jack the drm off on the other three threaded holes.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by jon_d.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215426 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Yes I did remove those 3 M10 x 1.25 bolts and screwed them into the next set of holes that have something at the bottom of the hole so I started to wind them in and I think the drum started to come out but I ran of of thread on the short bolts so will buy longer ones tomorrow when in town.
As for looking inside a tiny inspection hole that was conveniently placed near the leaf spring does mike it interesting. However if the longer bolts dont do the job I did buy a basic endo-scope for the phone and will try to use it.
Backing off brakes always confuses me as to which way to turn the adjuster. But if it gets tight I went the wrong way. Thanks for the help so far I will let you know how I get on. Although Lorry had his brakes completely renewed just before we bought him he has not done any more than 5-6,000 klm since then so I can't imagine there would be a lip on the drum but maybe a spring has sh!t itself and the shoe has kicked sideways. Time will tell.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215428 by 235mack
Replied by 235mack on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Righty tighty lefty loosee.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215430 by Mrsmackpaul
Remember if the brakes are holding the drum on they are going to be tight to un adjust

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 6 months ago #215433 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Cobba, general rule of thumb when adjusting brakes, the end of the adjusting tool that you are hanging on, goes toward the axle to adjust up.

Having done quite a few Hino brakes, I know what you mean about the adjusting hole behind the spring pack. Don't forget, there are two adjusters on each wheel.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215439 by cobbadog
I love the 'righty tighty, lefty loosey' but they will be vertical not horizontal. Maybe when Im laying down your theory may become clear.
Again thanks for the replies. I couldn't believe it that when I went to get my brake adjusting tool I found a pair of them, one was the one I bought for doing the caravan brakes and the other was Dads.
So when I get the chance I will try the longer bolts first and I am feeling confident that this just might do the job. If not my neightbours will be learning a whole new language, again. Fortunatley they just laugh which snaps me out of it and I grin too.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215451 by cobbadog
Well I was able to use longer bolts and slowly and evenly wind the drum off. Everything "looks" good inside from first glance of someone who has not done truck brakes before. Wheels cylinders looks almost new as was stated by the seller of the truck that they were totally rebuilt just before I bought Lorry.
So now for some questions;
Do the linings normally have that recess on the outter edge? It appears as if the lip way inside the drum has done this.
Amongst all of this is there any self adjusters?
If there are no self adjusters how would the adjustment move and become tighter?
I grabbed the hub and can't seem to move it in or out but this may not be the correct way to see if something is floating in and out. Any advise on this please?

The brake drum has no lip on the outter edge as if there is wear, it is nice and smooth all the way across the surface for the linings.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by cobbadog.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds