Skip to main content

Stuck rear brake on Lorry

More
3 years 6 months ago #215452 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Here is the brake drum as it came off. Since taking these pictures I used the garden hose to blast the loose dust out of the drum and from around the linings and backing plate.
I cannot see any sign of the lip deep inside the drum rubbing on the linings to cause the step in the outter edges.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215454 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Cobba, that recess on the edge of the lining is a wear indicator. If you look through the hole in the backing plate, you can see that recess,. It is machined slightly shallower than the depth of the rivet heads, so when they wear to this point, you replace the linings before the rivets groove the drum.

I don't recall any self adjusters being fitted, BUT, I'm not so familiar with the smaller Hinos.

If the brakes were adjusted up nicely and they were a bit damp when you parked it up, the lining may have just stuck onto the drums. Just a thought.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 6 months ago #215456 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Not recommended
User b ware

grab a wood workers rasp and rasp a bevel on the brake shoe lining th@ will grab on the inside of brake drum
Ifn U get my drift

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 6 months ago #215459 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry

Swishy wrote: Not recommended
User b ware

grab a wood workers rasp and rasp a bevel on the brake shoe lining th@ will grab on the inside of brake drum
Ifn U get my drift

cya

Sorry Swish, But Me No underconstumble WTF You mean....:blush:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 6 months ago #215462 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Seed m80

C if n eye can decipher fir U

Not recommended: any work or alterations needs to B approoved by the authorities or those th@ R well trained with opropriate paper work any brake wotk by a novice could leed to an accident etc

rasp a bevel on the brake shoe lining: when working with preluvd brake drums n linings az U do up the bearing nut to preload the bearing @ times the edge of the lining can grab n bind up against the Brake drum inner wearing part ..... so to prevent this situation U make the lining a loose fit where it hits the edge by rasping a bevel on edge of the lining

Ifn U get my drift

If U can understand the above can U interprit 4 me
LOL
cta

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 6 months ago #215488 by cobbadog
Will be back onto the brakes in the morning. I've been thinking, (for a change), about what could cause this and as usual in the middle of the night I think I know. After reading other recent threads on brake issues the possible reason has been suggested.
Due to lack of use the wheel cylinder may be stick in a position. Lorry does not go out too often and so this theory is high on the list of causes.
So tomorrow when I get back to him the first thing I will do is try to push the wheel cylinders back some more using a clamp. If it moves I have my answer, then it is a matter of what to do. Do I push it back in place and put everything together again or put something around the linings and work the brake pedal and see if the shoes back right off again. I have some ratchet straps or even a chain that I can use for this job.
If it is what I suspect and I can get the shoes to return all the way there should be no reason to adjust the brake and put it on the road and use the brakes on and off and see how it goes.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215489 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Sounds like a very workable idea to me, and no fear of pumping the brakes out too far. ;)

More
3 years 6 months ago #215490 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Cobba,

Is it possible to slip the drum on half way and look through the gap?

jd

More
3 years 6 months ago #215509 by cobbadog
BINGO, back inaction.
Made Lorry safe so that I could safely get under and have a good look inside. No obvious reasons for a stuck brake but after a lot of poking about there are some small spring clips at the end of the shoe that have long arms that hook into the shoe and wrap around the short arm that sticks out of the cylinder and is suppose to fit into the groove there. One of them was stretched so I carefully CRUSHED it so that it sat where it should.
I then used a ratchet strap and tightened it up but no movement of the shoes. So I backed it off so that the shoes could move and got Dee to push the brake pedal. All cylinders moved out and all the way back. I tried to fit the brake drum but no go so 2 clicks at a time I backed off the adjuster on each side and kept trying to fit the drum but still no go. So I backed them all the way off and slipped the drum and the securing bolts on and I could rotate the drum. Pumped the brakes a few times and all good so going up 2 clicks at a time on each side and pumping the brakes I stopped once I felt it just binding in one spot only. Really pumped the brakes hard and could still rotate the drum so on went the wheels.
So to back the adjusters off I went 12 clicks off and they are now 8 clicks on. Once the wheels were on it was over to the brake test bed. This is the gravel driveway we have and a slight move forward and touch the brakes and it stopped so 2nd gear and a bit of pace I waited til the rear brakes were on the gravel and hit the stoppers hard. Backed up and had a look at the skid marks, 2 perfectly even skid marks the same length stop and start at the same place so I was happy with that. I did this a couple of times in different positions on the drive and got the same result each time so I feel the adjustment is even on both sides again.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 6 months ago #215511 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Stuck rear brake on Lorry
Great result, and your personal test bed sounds perfect to fine tune your brakes. :blink:

Time to create page: 0.590 seconds