Skip to main content

Transmission revisited

More
3 years 3 months ago #218123 by Dave_64
Guys,
Prolly been explained before here on this forum, but have a few questions about simple transmission internal layouts.
So we don’t get sidetracked like we usually do and go off on a tangent, I’ll try and keep it as straightforward as I can.
Looking at a basic 3 speed transmission (forget the reverse function for the time being) , say for the purpose of the exercise, be it either car or truck, one can assume that the two lower gears (1st and 2nd) the “flow” through the gear train comes in via the input shaft, and gears, through the cluster (or countershaft) and then back into the mainshaft. All the top gear does, in this scenario at least, is lock the mainshaft to the input shaft,i.e. 1:1 ratio. In reality, the countershaft although rotating, is carrying no load and other than splash feeding the actual shafts, is simply “along for the ride”.
So far so good. The only way to change these actual lower gear ratios is to either vary the tooth count(s) on the cluster shaft and corresponding mainshaft.
However, by altering the actual input teeth counts, but leaving the lower gear sets alone, the OUTPUT ratios will have been altered. NOT in the case of the DIRECT gear where the input has been locked to the output, it would remain unaltered, but the “lower” ratios which utilise the cluster gear would now be different to original.
I have done this myself in an NP435 transmission I have in the shed,
What in actuality happened is that with an altered input tooth count, the original 3rd gear (NP435 being a 4 speed box) has now become an overdrive (in my case a 0.71 OD), the first two gears also unchanged in tooth count, are now given different output ratios on the mainshaft.
Chrysler did this with a 4 speed light truck gearbox when the Yank oil crisis hit, although they changed the actual tooth counts on the mainshaft/cluster to attain the same result.
They maintained the same “4 speed H shift pattern” at the remote control linkages by simply turning one set of linkages upside down. Had they left it in the original position, 3rd and 4th would have been “back to front” i.e. the same position as many older overdrive transmissions, Spicer, Fuller, Eaton to name a few.
I recently came across a bit of a curiosity (to me at least) where in a 5 speed light truck box, where the overdrive position is in a normal (extended) “H” pattern. This box is NOT like a lot of others where the overdrive set of gears have been housed in a separate section and simply bolted to the rear of a conventional 4 speed.
Going by the published ratios, it is definitely an overdrive box, but rather than having the overdrive added to the rear of the main casing, internal gearing sets the ratios.
My understanding of it is that the 5th gear (or overdrive) would have to have the countershaft under constant load, much the same effect as driving a vehicle around in 2nd gear in the case of a 3 speed, or 3rd gear in the case of a 4 speed. Obviously not an issue as those common 3 speed Spicer auxiliary were built like this from scratch (under/direct/over) and did millions of miles with trouble free operation.
Actual position of overdrive gear at the gearknob and/or the transmission itself is dictated by the way the linkages are set.
Where it gets a trifle confusing is perhaps in the case of something like those earlier Fuller Roadrangers with the “double overdrives” say in the case of the older 13 speeds, 10th and 11th gear would be direct one to one input to mainshaft lockup, 12th and 13th would be where the “double overdrive” comes in.
In reality, a 13 speed was only a conventional 9 speed with an addition splitter section added to give you the full spread of gears.
OR, do I have this arse backwards as usual?
Seems these days a lot of car (and truck) transmissions are actually overdrive in the “top gear” position.
In the case of a lot of 5 speeds, 4th gear is actually the 1:1 mainshaft to cluster gear lockup.
Thoughts?
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #218124 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Transmission revisited
Dave

You obviously have a good gearbox knowledge - better than mine.

Maybe I have your explanation ballsed up. I am having trouble seeing how you can change one side of a gear set and leave the other. It is not the number of teeth but the radius of the gear wheel that changes the ratio. The teeth being matched are just a convenient way of easily measuring ratios. If they were just two rubber wheels riding on each other with no teeth the gear ratio would still be exactly the same. So if you only change one then you must move one of the shafts in or out to keep them meshed.

As I said I may have misunderstood your description.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #218128 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Transmission revisited
Lang,
"Maybe I have your explanation ballsed up. I am having trouble seeing how you can change one side of a gear set and leave the other. As I said I may have misunderstood your description."
I could probably have worded it a bit differently.
By simply changing the INPUT shaft gears, (originally manufactured at 17/43 count, total 60) to the new set of 29/31 total 60) BUT leaving the OTHER gears as they were made, has in effect changed the entire OUTPUT ratios, with the exception of the input/output 1:1 direct on the mainshaft.
The only other way I could think of is in the case of say an M21 or M22 where different sets of matching cluster/mainshaft toothcounts gave different ratios whilst maintaining the original INPUT gears the same.
I have came across different mainshaft/cluster toothcounts in the same make (and designation) of transmission if perhaps the said transmissions were running behind say 6 cylinder or V8 engines, or when perhaps running different diff ratios.
Another example was the well known Warner T10, used by many different manufacturers, Ford, AMC etc, identical transmissions EXCEPT differing tooth counts in the lower gears.
Dave
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 3 months ago #218130 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Transmission revisited
It appears Im as lost and confused as Lang here

Anyway I'll watch and learn

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 3 months ago #218131 by Lang
Dave

Starting to see the idea.

Perhaps you can google a drawing of a similar type of box to outline your theory. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #218132 by Lang
Constant mesh and sliding mesh boxes. From what I can see the whole cluster would have to be changed in both cases if you alter the gear on the main shaft. The rest of the gears could remain the same so long as the only gear changed on the new cluster was the one to match the changed primary shaft gear.

I assume the gears you want to change are marked "primary shaft" on the constant mesh drawing and the one behind the "dog tooth" arrow on the sliding mesh drawing.

Constant mesh note helical gears.

Sliding mesh note straight cut gears.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 3 months ago #218133 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Transmission revisited
Dave < I think part of what you are asking is the IH T34/T35/T36 gearbox series.....the T34 is an overdrive,the T35 and T36 both direct......but by using different gears on the clutch shaft and mainshaft ,the boxes have different indirect ratios for the same gears....In fact in the IH box ,the T36 uses the same gears as the overdrive at the front......This provides a higher 1st gear to go with a 2 speed diff,and suits the split ratios of the #3 Eaton .......the T54 box has different internal ratios to suit the different internal reduction of the #4 Eaton diff,and give a smooth progression of split ratios.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
3 years 3 months ago #218135 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Transmission revisited
The box I could never figure out is the small 13 speed, RT613......firstly its actually a 15 speed,not a 13........and its nothing like the RT913 .......anyway ,the bit I could never figure out is the piece of bent wire you stick inside one of the range change mainshaft gears,and holds the gears together......or how the range change works .....its nothing like the bigger boxes......Anyway ,all I know is if you put it back together like that ,the box works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
3 years 3 months ago #218140 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Transmission revisited
John K. Yeah. You expressed it better than I, what you called the clutch shaft, for simplicity I called the input shaft. The idea of altering the teeth count on that clutch input shaft and corresponding gear on the cluster is how I arrived at the same conclusion, you just made it more understandable than I.

More
3 years 3 months ago #218141 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Transmission revisited
I thought I was confused when I read the initial post, but now I’ve read them all I’m sure I am.

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds