Skip to main content

Lang's box of memories.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219308 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's box of memories.
Swanny

We were the Labrador Tigers. Esso "Tiger in Your Tank" ad campaign was at its peak so Esso was happy to give us anything with a tiger on it including the big signs, hats, flags and of course hundreds of those tiger tails that you stuck in the door of your fuel tank.

Our coach made us look like a bunch of dick-heads in the grand final against Surfers Paradise making us wear a tiger tail from our shorts for the run-on. It took five minutes for the other mob supporters to be yelling at us variations of "tiger up your a...!" We lost.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #219310 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lang's box of memories.
:silly: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :silly: :woohoo:

Well that gave me a chuckle Lang

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago #219311 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Lang's box of memories.
I'm quite sure the Footy match was character building and may well have shaped your life, without you knowing.

More
3 years 2 months ago #219313 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lang's box of memories.

Zuffen wrote: I'm quite sure the Footy match was character building and may well have shaped your life, without you knowing.

You know you are right

Learning not to get upset and cranky when people are laughing at us is good thing to have

I wish I was still a little kid were I just didn't care what anyone thought and just had fun

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219314 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Lang's box of memories.
Lang, Thank you for the pictures and memories!!!! At the ESSO station that I worked for in Ithaca NY USA in the mid 60's. The owner had a local sign shop build him a about 20-24 foot tall Tony the Tiger, double sided lit up, who held a sign board with changeable letters to advertise everything from sales to local events to political thoughts. I also remember the villages who had parades with neighborhood areas building floats, the high school band, and fire trucks.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Brocky45.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219322 by Lang
The box just pops more stuff up.

Here is a photo of me about 5 years old and Stan Jones with probably Australia's most legendary racing car the "Maybach". He won many championships with this against the Maseratis and Ferraris of the 1950's. It had an engine built by Maybach who made many of the tank and half-track engines for the Germans during WW2. Otto Stone was the mechanical magician who put this car together who in his real life was Stan Jones Service Manager at his Holden dealership.

The second photo is of me and Alan Jones both about 14 at Surfers Paradise Gardens Gokart Raceway. I can honestly say I beat the World Formula One Champion twice.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219323 by Lang
Here is a photo of my little 1100 International on the way to a holiday in Cairns about 1975. I bought it from an auction with 11,000 km on the clock, unfortunately it had gone under in the great Brisbane flood. They dragged it out and flushed everything back to as new but forgot the steering box. By the time we got home from Cairns it was wandering all over the road and making "graunching" sounds every time you turned the wheel - the box was full of water and sand with no oil left.

Second photo should be in Get a Load of This thread. Enroute from Toowoomba to Fraser Island my HD Holden Wagon (brought back from New Guinea for me by the army and with grates on the back floor to stop the kids falling through the holes onto the road). The clutch gave out at Kilcoy. No problem swap vehicles and hook the jeep up to the trailer that had no brakes.

I do occasionally try to obey the rules mainly because I had painted the jeep bright orange with reflective safety green wheels - why???
As it was Easter there were no police on routine office duty in Kilcoy for me to declare the outfit fully roadworthy and get a temporary unregistered vehicle permit. Rang the next little one-policeman town along the road and got onto his wife.

"He is away at the moment but as it is straight forward I will make out the permit' So we drove totally unregistered from Kilcoy to Moore with the jeep somewhat struggling (it took low range first gear to make a couple of hills). Anyhow we arrived, knocked on the front door of the house/police station and a lovely lady came out with a permit telling us she had made it out from the information I had given her on the phone,

As I walked back to the circus vehicles I looked at the paper it read "Permit to Move Stock Through a Cattle Tick Area". Oh well we had a police permit and I am sure we did not carry any ticks.

Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219325 by Lang
The photos keep coming but I think this will be all as no doubt it has tested peoples' patience.

These are a couple of the Jeep FC-170's I have owned. Absolutely loved the look of them and they were a first class off-road vehicle with a very wide track and hugely torquey side-valve 6 cylinder Tornado engine. They rode and steered beaut as well. Both vehicles were ex-RAAF fuel pumpers.

Just one story. Coming home from a big Jeep festival in Central Queensland with the red one I managed to pick up two gears at the same time. Nothing for it but to remove the box because the frame would not allow you to take off the lid. At the side of the road I got underneath and managed to get the gearbox/transfer case out and lowered with the jack and lumps of roadside wood. 30 seconds with a screw driver had the gears back under control then to put it back!

Knowing that getting the shaft and clutch aligned might take a bit of finesse I got Bev to straddle the engine bay on all fours with a loop over her back and around the box. Got underneath, jacked as far as I could and went for the big last lift from the bottom. Holding about 100kg of metal above me I started yelling at Bev to do more of her share. Bloody women, she is not a big girl and no mechanical skills, so just because she was being sucked into the engine bay with her elbows and knees being turned inside out by the weight she started complaining. Eventually I managed to wriggle the box back into the spigot very pleased with myself.

I slid out and Bev had unraveled herself from the rope and was sitting there crying. Wonder what that was all about?

Lang

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
3 years 2 months ago #219331 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's box of memories.
I think every one of the FC170s busted the gearbox ......even some at the sales had busted gearboxes....Ron Thompson was going to drive one from Oz to GB overland,but changed his mind and bought a RLHC Bedford with big singles from the BMR/DoI......

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219333 by Lang
John

I owned 3 of them, all well used and a bit worn, on and off during the 70's and 80's doing maybe 20,000km, a lot off road, and had contact with blokes who also had them. I never heard of the gearbox being a problem. The problem was in the linkages getting sloppy and nearly all had to have new rod ends at some stage. picking up two gears like I did was common. You could not do it while the vehicle was moving (now that would have been an explosive situation!) but it happened when stationary, quite often if backing and filling to park or doing 3 point turns, when the sloppy linkages left one gear engaged while having enough slop to pull a second on into mesh.

lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds