Clik right here

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #22155 by HeyCharger
Wow. Thanks Swisho. Very enlightening. Never knew about this.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
14 years 3 months ago #22156 by Dusty
Replied by Dusty on topic Re: Bridgestone Safty film
WOW ,, learn something new every day.

That was scary video, thanks for sharing Swishy.

14 years 3 months ago #22157 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bridgestone Safty film
That is a very interesting video, and certainly worth letting people know about it. I would expect that a lot of people have enough brains to know that you don't weld on a rim with an inflated tyre on it .. but the gradual heat creep into the tyre carcass from other sources such as heating rusted lug nuts, a brake or bearing fire, or even an electrified tyre, are all scenarios that could catch a lot of people unawares.

I know I'm always wary of heat buildup in wheels on hot days with heavy loads .. after having spent a large part of my life, dragging earthmoving equipment long distances, on stinking hot days that melt bitumen .. and with little tyres like 8.25 x 15 float tyres, that are notorious for heat buildup.

I recall a story I was told many many years ago (secondhand story, but I had no reason to doubt it wasn't true) .. about a bloke dragging a big dozer on an old float fitted with 8.25 x 15's.
The bloke telling me the story, said the truck driver pulled into a truck bay to check the tyres, after a long run .. and walking up next to the trailer tyres, he said he could hear this light, twanging noise .. PING .......... PING ................ PING ................. PING .. with the PINGS about 10 or 20 seconds apart. He was puzzled as to where this noise was coming from, and put his head down near the source, which was coming from a wheel, brake or tyre area .. then, realisation struck him, like a bolt out of the blue .. it was the cords, in one of the 8.25 x 15 tyres, letting go .. one after the other!! ..... :o :o :o

He backed off rapidly to a safe distance, with a degree of concern, and within about 10 mins .. sure enough, the tyre he'd been listening to, went off with a BANG! .. :o :o :o
I've never heard of cords giving warning of exploding like this before .. I guess it's highly likely, but then again, I've never been around a tyre that is in such a dangerous state. I've blown plenty of tyres in my life, but never had one go off near me, thank God .. probably more by good luck, than good management.

I often wonder about the chances of a dodgy tyre on a semi blowing, right as you're overtaking and alongside it, and creating havoc for you.
I have heard of a motorcyclist being killed in this manner, but it would have to be a million-to-one chance, just being dead unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #22158 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bridgestone Safty film
Makes me smile thinking about a bod overtaking me one day, narrow two laned road, not many spots to safely overtake, so kept him behind me till it was safe.

Gave the car driver a couple of blinks with the R/H indicator and moved to the left, so he puts his foot down and races up alongside me. I watch him coming in the mirror and see that the car is a small jap fast back thing with three bods in it, two in the front seats and the third one laying down in the back seat.
Just as he draws level with me, one of the duals on the R/H drive let go, frightened the bejesus out of me, but the best was the car driver and company. He must have soiled his shorts, 'cause he reefed on the wheel and took of out to the right, the bloke laying down in the back came up so fast he smacks his head on the rear sloping window, so hard, he pushes the glass upwards and I thought the window was going to break. No broken window, but the turkey must have knocked himself out cold, he just collapsed back onto the seat like a dropped bag of spuds.

Now the driver was having a bloody hard time controlling this car, he was out in the dirt and fishtailing all over the place, the only thing in his favour, was that this patch of dirt was used as a truck parking bay and he had enough room to get it all under control. He got back onto the tar and then there was this bloody great cloud of grey smoke out of his exhaust pipe and he just shot of like a rocket.

Me, I was stuck on the side of the road changing another one, still laughing at the turkey in the back seat.

$hit, I would like a dollar for every wheel I've had to change out on the road and then repair/replace the bit of rubber that just let go.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
14 years 3 months ago #22159 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Bridgestone Safty film
That opened my eyes Swishy, I always thought you could take the valve out. Just lucky years ago that I welded up any tubeless rims on the inside so the transport inspectors couldn't see.
I remember a mate of mine doing a trip around Australia in an old Landcruiser, towing a trailer with 13" holden wheels. He was up the top of WA somewhere, and ran out of spare tyres for the trailer. So he put some sand that happened to be wet in one of the tyres so it wouldn't be running on the rim, and then started to drive towards civilization in a very slow manner. After a little while, the car started to go a bit better, so he stopped to have a look. The heat from driving along had expanded the water into steam and kept the tyre pumped up. I bet he would have stood well away if he'd seen that video.

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds