Skip to main content

Diesel-electric on highway truckd

More
2 years 3 months ago #230279 by Dave_64
Given that the petrol/ electric and then the diesel/electric concept has been around for around 100 odd years and they have it down pat for railway loco's, submarines, some smaller passenger cars, off highway mining etc, wonder why it never got more attention in the ON-Highway mode?

L-W mucked around for a while, as had Paccar, Ford, GM and I H at different times.

See there's a mob in the States who refurbish 40-50 y o EMD and Alco loco's, when they repower them instead of big fuel guzzling V16's, they put 4 small 4-500 hp "power pack" self contained units taking up less space, producing similar hp, but the full grunt is only used " on demand", as when fully loaded, otherwise they are idle.
Given the compact design of these units, coupled directly to an AC alternator or DC generator, and thence directly wired to traction motors, these setups are cheap to run, reliable and easy to install compared to the original power train.

Why wasn't the concept tried out MORE on highway trucks?
Maybe more effort put into hybrid, alternative fuels,etc?
If heavily loaded railway loco's ( and off highway dumpers) make full use of dynamic braking and it is so efficient, you would think that it could have been tried on the highway?
Seems the major thrust past 20-30 odd years is to meet exhaust emissions while still maintaining some sort of economy.
Had been suggested that wouldn't be all that successful in hilly country, build up of heat in dynamic etc, but wouldn't the same apply to rail?

Someone reckons that the constant switching off/on of dynamic braking is also a drawback, can't quite see that myself.
I tend to think that more pressure was put on engine manufacturers to ensure their products met emission standards and alternate fuels than looking for adaptations of existing ideas?

Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230282 by 77louie400
The most you can get out of a Diesel/Petrol generator is the power of the engine less the loses, typical 30%, you can fiddle with the torque a but there is no free lunch, it works in rail because weight equals traction and there are no axle weight limits as we know them, plus the fiddle with the torque bit gets the whole shit show moving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230284 by V8Ian
Also rail doesn't have the extreme gradients that roads have. Cuttings, bridges and cut and fill civils, minimise grades and generally eliminate constant ups and downs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 3 months ago #230288 by Morris
Dave-64 You have given yourself the next project after the turbo-diesel Karrier. You had better start looking for a suitable electric traction motor and another Landrover diesel. :ohmy:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230311 by cobbadog
And a tilt tray to get it back home. :evil: :whistle:

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.644 seconds