Skip to main content

SA Registrations in NSW

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231258 by Dave_64
Slightly off topic, but here goes.

Been mentioned on here quite often about the South Aus. registrations going back early 70's.
Old NSW DMT hated them with a passion, used the most frivolous excuse to pull you up and give you the third degree.
Driving for a bloke from Sydney, doing Syd-Bris overnight subbying for Mayneroads and got dragged into the old lay bye top of Singleton Hill, usual set up, go over everything looking for something to peg you on.
Eventually found a rubber mudflap on the trailer half damaged, so that will do!
While one inspectors writing it up, other ones going through the log book.
Looking at the name on the door, "Pro...ct Traders, Sandstone Ave, Narracoorte",
asked if I even knew where that was?
When asked why?, he replied,'"Well it's either a massive big yard,(apparently only a portable office on a vacant lot), or they must have the trucks stacked ten high to fit 'em all in!"
"Now, pi.s off!"
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231266 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic SA Registrations in NSW
Thanx!
Should have started it as a new topic myself!
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231273 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic SA Registrations in NSW
My Godparents operated out of the arsehole of the earth that is broken hill but always had everything that wasn't on federal rego registered in SA as, like today, nsw rego was a ridiculous amount more than SA. The utmost reason I left nsw was to get away from there stalinist rego rubbish.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231291 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic SA Registrations in NSW
Back in '73-74 I was doing a bit for Lindsay Brothers at their depot in Lidcombe. One time Tom flew to SA and came back with literally. a suitcase full of number plates to go on some of the trucks, 2 for the prime-mover and one for the trailer. As a lot of their jobs were quick-hitch, the trailer plate was to be fixed with wing nuts.
I still remember the SA address' 1 Sandstone Avenue, Narrracoorte.

Anyway all good in theory, but bit dicey. It came to a head one day when a trailer came in with a minor defect. Problem was on the rear panel of the trailer sat a number plate , rego label and defect notice, all with different rego numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231331 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic SA Registrations in NSW
I was Still Registering All my Trailers in S.A. up until the Mid 90's When they Brought in National Heavy Vehicle Charges. Which made It Pointless..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by hayseed.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231353 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic SA Registrations in NSW
From what I know there was an accountant in Naracoorte who started all this- the era of "Shelf companies". The idea being that you could run up a large road tax bill, then just close your shelf company down with all of it's debts, and buy another one "off the shelf" the same day. I was told the accountant had hundreds, if not thousands of companies registered at that address.
Then, I'm not sure if this was earlier or later, but rego in SA was damn cheap too- but I think the victorian IS and IT plates were also very cheap? As well, you didn't register your trailer in those days. Just stuck the truck plate on.. Hard to imagine in this day of never ending rules and regulations isnt it?

Anyway we would hate to do anything that was against the law, now wouldn't we?
Cheers!
Rich

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231354 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic SA Registrations in NSW
A modern twist on registering vehicles in SA is the use of vehicles registered in Qld and Vic in NSW by construction crews.

Drive through any roadworks area and very few of the vehicles will be registered in NSW.

Must be a hell of a commute from Victoria to Coffs harbour every day!

I'm surprised the NSW Govt. hasn't gotten onto the lark as the Law requires the vehicle to be registered in NSW should it remain here over a certain period of time. It would be costing them a fortune.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231359 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic SA Registrations in NSW
About forty years ago, I bought a truck from a man who lived some 50 kilometres on the NSW side of the QLD border. He was a farmer who also owned a farm just across the border in QLD. There was no house on the Queensland property but he had all his vehicle registered there because it was so much cheaper than NSW.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231364 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic SA Registrations in NSW
Zuffen

I am pretty sure it is legal for someone whose official address is in one state but works for a multi-state business requiring project type work with on-site or temporary accommodation to have their registration at their permanent place of abode. If this was not so it would be totally unworkable for the hundreds of thousands of contract workers, project workers, field research workers etc who travel from job to job across state lines,

I will try to find something official on the subject.

Lang

PS Just went through various state regulations. Despite all the talk on the subject they are very, very closely worded to each other. The key phrase is "Moving to Qld, NSW etc" ie changing your permanent place of abode, which requires new registration within 3 months. If you are traveling for employment or even a grey nomad staying in Queensland for say 6 months but maintain a genuine interstate address and permanent place of abode you can run on your home plates and licence.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231365 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic SA Registrations in NSW
Used to see multiple local delivery rigids in Melb & Syd metro areas
with SA plates. Don't think they went "home" very often!

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds