Skip to main content

Skill full driving

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231528 by Inter-Action
I thought i would send a few pics of a grain carter coming into PORT Lincoln. Now i know a lot of you are going to say what's so special about that bit
of driving. I never had the chance to drive these combinations and i find it very impressive that these drivers can get around without as much as a scrubbed tyre wall. On this approach to the silos they have 4 r/bouts plus main shopping centre street. The other approach they have i huge r/b.
To their credit this goes on without any fuss for the whole harvest and some time after. I might have stuffed up the photos a bit but you get the idea.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231552 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Skill full driving
Having not ever attempting that feat we saw exactly the same thing with triples at Coonabarabran last year. When talking to the truckie across the road he said if you get the prime mover around with out touching anything the trailers simply follow. There is a beautiful old clock tower in the middle of the small round a bout there and still standing proud.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231564 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic Skill full driving
Yep. Know the r/b well. have spent quite a bit of time in that area over the years. The problem with this one i have taken the pictures of , is that it has a real lean towards the gutter , whereas the Coonabarabran r/b is flat.
Still. They make it look easy. Thanks for the reply. Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #231569 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Skill full driving
Its just like the Golden Ones and the RoadRanger.......I had a secret button I pushed to make it automatic,but I wouldnt tell them where it was....
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #231580 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Skill full driving

Its just like the Golden Ones and the RoadRanger.......I had a secret button I pushed to make it automatic,but I wouldnt tell them where it was....

They are all automatic after a couple of weeks

More
2 years 2 months ago #231597 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Skill full driving
Couple of years with the Golden Boofheads............boss's son made me show him how to drive .....I showed him how to go up thru the gears ,but not the rangechange down..... he got stuck on the gateway bridge when the truck came to a stop in high range........he was so dumb ,even after stoping,he didnt drop into low,and kept stalling the motor.......they had to get the towies,cost $3000.......I had a big giggle over that.....

More
2 years 2 months ago #231601 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Skill full driving

Couple of years with the Golden Boofheads............boss's son made me show him how to drive .....I showed him how to go up thru the gears ,but not the rangechange down..... he got stuck on the gateway bridge when the truck came to a stop in high range........he was so dumb ,even after stoping,he didnt drop into low,and kept stalling the motor.......they had to get the towies,cost $3000.......I had a big giggle over that.....
Reminds me of the bloke who bought my mate's truck. It took him months, handing over cash every couple of weeks, to take delivery. A week later, it was sent to auction, claiming it was too slow.
That was a bit odd, as my mate had an official piece of paper that attested it could do at least 112kph. :whistle:
The new owner didn't know how to take the 15 speed out of deep reduction. :huh:

More
2 years 2 months ago #231612 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Skill full driving
My first trip in a big truck was a stitch up by the smart arses in the workshop, as I got dropped off at the truck the mechanic said " make sure you put it in hi range when you get on the bitumen young fella", I gave him the thumbs up and jumped in because now I was a truck driver. I pulled away and went for what felt like miles along the dirt opening and closing a few gates on the way which is a fair walk in a roadtrain when you have to stop, open the gate, get moving again, stop, walk back and close the gate, walk back up the front again and move along to the next one. Anyhow I finally got to the tar and wound the old girl up through the gears(it was the first time I got it above 10 or 11th). finally got it in top and the old girl was screaming along at 2100 at 82kph, I was looking around for a switch or lever to give me more speed but to no avail, needless to say the trip home was a long one.
Hours later when I drove into the yard I noticed everyone standing outside the workshop laughing it looked like at me. I parked the truck down the side of the yard and walked back to the workshop where everyone had disappeared. The boss came out and said "what kept ya" I told him the 82k top speed, he asked did I have it in hi, I said yes, he asked did I have the diffs in hi, I must have looked confused at this because he yelled into the workshop "yeah good one ya c$#nts" he said come on I'll show ya something. WE walked down to the truck where he showed me, on the back of the cab, an air switch to put the diffs into high range. He said when you get on the bitumen you stop, get out and change the diff range to high then take off again with the diffs in hi top speed went from 82 to well over legal, lesson learnt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Brocky45, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds