Skip to main content

Jack Ehritt

More
2 years 1 month ago #233139 by Dave_64
Jack Ehritt was created by Dave_64
The name Jack Ehritt has been featured here on this forum previously, moreso for his engineering different engines into many different chassis.

Just happened to be trawling through Youtube, and came across an article where his original Vincent Black Lightning motorcycle changed hands for something like $900,000 !
I had heard the name many times over the years, mostly because of his truck conversions, but was unaware that at one stage he was a motorcycle "nut", both sidecar and solo, having at one stage held the world speed record for production bikes on the Vincent.
Anyone who may be interested in a bit of history re early days, 1950's, would be worthwhile checking it out.

A remarkable man apparently, not only for his engineering, but also a colourful character!
Cheers, Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #233143 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Jack Ehritt
I seem to recall reading somewhere that he supercharged his motor bike and thats why he liked GM 2 strokes because they had a supercharger on them

Or maybe it was a 2 stroke motor bike and he liked 2 strokes

Dunno now but it was something along those lines

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 1 month ago #233150 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Jack Ehritt

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 1 month ago #233155 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Jack Ehritt
There were 2 brothers, the Hamberleys, from Homebush Sydney who also loved and raced Vincent sidecar outfits. Wally was the eldest and I forget the youngest but I used to watch and hear them practice up and down the street outside Grannies house. Also went to the short circuit scrambling meetings they went to at Moorebank and Catalina circuits plus the showground.
It sure would be nice to own one of these very desirable bikes now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 1 month ago #233176 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Jack Ehritt
.Yep .....i remember the Mackworth of Jacks from when i was at St.Peters
I did a few jobs on the Cummins..............once an oil leak had been around at the engine front area
for some time that could not be traced, supposedly coming from the valve decompresson shaft.........
Anyway i had a look one day and found it was coming from the front of the Jacobs housing on the front head,
a new gasket fixed that..............
The main thing i recall was the cab lifting device.......no hydraulics then...........
there was a frame mounted on the chassis at the rear of the cab with a small hand winch (something like
the winches they use to pull a boat onto a boat trailer ).... the wire rope went over a pulley on the top of the
framework and back down to the cab base at the back, ..You had to wind the winch up then put a metal stay
under the cab back as a safety support .....The winch did have a ratchet bizzo on it as well...........
Yeah, quite a bloke was old Jack................as was poor old JC.......
......................Billy........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, 77louie400, PaulFH, xspanrman

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds