More
1 year 7 months ago #239186 by hayseed

RE: 45.5 HML at 14.5m. ?

Sorry me dumbed down

Can we have a lil translation here

Thanx in advance

cya

here Go Swishy..

Putting that aside I have some perimeters I have to work within, one of them is the overall length of the vehicle has a maximum length of 14.5m, and a GCV (Gross Combined Mass) of 45.5T using HML (Higher Mass Limit) management.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239200 by Lang
This might be your battery answer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ElectricDreams

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239222 by ElectricDreams
Ta Lang, used tesla batteries off facebook, not my first choice haha. I think once you tow something with a Tesla it halves its range or even more. To be honest I don't think batteries are the best solution for trucks. Hydrogen is where I think trucks will go, but they are not all that close either and will see 250+k to acquire one I imagine.

For me however, in my application batteries appeal as I start my day loaded with 10km of down hill. The rest of the run is undulating and generally down hill towards the sea, so I gain charge every time I use it. The regenerative charging derived along with possible charging while reloading for 20 minutes, hopefully would see the days work covered in energy. Best case scenario would be no charging while loading so the run is neutral in cost besides depreciation. If I can turn a 60K diesel bill into a 10K or less power bill than its been a successful exercise. Furthermore energy will be offset via solar, and who knows maybe our own battery as a charge station if deemed one day.

My day is 320km, and a run is 80km return. So a 400km battery is plenty, probably something for half of that would be sufficient. Hopefully doing most of the charging when loaded down hill before returning empty, though generally up hill before the 10 climb, it all kind of works. Well in my head it does, but should talk to a mathematician I guess. I just see a simple big picture as nity grity details are not easy for me.

The best news for me lately is the wife is on board. She can see dropping 130K? on a 5K paddock classic has merit and significantly cheaper and cooler than anything in the dealership. Which doesn't exist anyway. I know a great spray painter panel beater who knows upholsters, auto electricians and so on. Old school bloke who charge fair prices.

I sent Meritor an email about a rough cost on their Blue Horizon e diffs, batteries, and the management system. Told them what I was hoping to do. We will see if I'm insignificant for them, or considered a crack pot. They are owned by Cummins these days so unfortunately in my experience that big C stands for something else.

I don't have the skills to build this thing from the ground up, so need to find an engineered solution that can be modularly fitted, ADR approved, and works.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by ElectricDreams.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239224 by Morris
ElectricDreams,
Don't take any notice of rumours or perceived complaints by customers, neighbours or competitors. A few years ago, a friend of mine in the HCVCA became worried about reports he had heard that a long-time transport operator was very upset about things my friend and others had done. I kept telling him that it was all rumours and to ignore them. My friend became more and more upset until he must have spoken to the operator about it. The operator had never heard of the problem and my friend ceased worrying.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, ElectricDreams

More
1 year 7 months ago #239234 by Mrsmackpaul
Most manufacturers make electric trucks this size today with a range of what your talking
You would be the first in the country but you might get a surprisingly good deal just for the company to get a electric truck on the road in Australia in this class
Maybe even a fare whack of government rebates from the clean energy council for going green

All this stuff could be well worth looking into

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElectricDreams

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239238 by BillyP
It all sounds very technical to me, and i probably wont be around to witness most of this electric stuff (thank christ)..
No doubt this is the way things are going in the future...........
.................BUT................
If you buy a complete unit built by a truck manufacturer (or who ever )..... you get it registered and away you go.......
................BUT.............
If you build all or most or some of it your self , will red tape ever allow it to be registered for road use ..............
Dealing with transport authorities is not an easy task ..............

This would worry me............

..................Billy................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 7 months ago #239239 by Brocky45
Billy P might be right?? With all your Aussie "Engineer Certification" rules on mods I can see problems?? Up here in the States your thinking might work as our annual, scale house, and roadside inspections are not as extensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239243 by ElectricDreams
There is no doubt building one will impose significant red tape opposed to off the show room floor. My guess however the cost would be around half. Think my issues will be is being taken seriously.

Meritor according to their marketing have spent 10 years in the making, 1.2 million kilometres, and 200 trucks on the road. It would all be in America and I imagine they sell their complete system to the Wall Marts of the country, not some random 1 truck family business. Their system is a complete response from sorting all the needs of a truck like air, power stering, heating, air-conditioning, all electrics from cigarette lighter to tail light, to computer management, to batteries, to driveline and suspension. I think they would make ADR and engineering very easy. But I need them to talk to me before I talk to engineers.

The Australian click clack mob have not returned email as well, and have no phone number. Again their pics show Cement Australia as a customer, so getting someone to even give me any detail is proving difficult. They claim to be a fully engineered response.

I asked about Electric trucks down at Australia's largest Kenworth dealer 12 months ago, the response was yeh....maybe.... one day. How about a new DAF...... As much as I'd love a Volvo, my experience from the Mack-Volvo dealership is I'd rather not. Customer service is a little headless so too speak. These two dealerships I go past daily however, so for servicing are an obvious choice. Models like a European Iveco, I have been told by reliable source one can wait for months for parts to arrive in the country, I just can't afford for that to happen. Scania, Man, Mercedes are no where near me really.

After once having a new Land Rover where the dealers are not close, I learnt quickly why reliability and proximity to dealerships is why Toyota are what they are. I really only have Kenworth/DAF if I were to buy new. They aren't doing them. No harm I guess in asking Kenworth Australia to talk to Kenworth America, and ask then to have a chat with Cummins/Meritor. Maybe a deal can be done for Australia's first. It would have to be good though as I don't think I'll be walking to straight for a while, let alone be able to drive it.

Back to the original plan, can anyone tell me what model KW this is and years made. Thank you.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by ElectricDreams.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239244 by oliver1950
I'm no expert but I think that is an SAR Kenworth ,no idea of the year model.

You can't have too many toys!

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds