Skip to main content

International C1500 truck

More
1 year 6 months ago #240195 by KMR XT5
Hi all, I've recently stumbled across a 1968 international C1500 truck, I had a very brief opportunity (about 10 minutes) to have look in and around the truck earlier this week.
From what I can see, the truck odometer displays 44,000 miles, the owners granddaughter confirmed this is genuine and from looking at the truck, particularly inside I would say this is correct, it was last used 20 years ago and has been parked in the shed since, the truck is going to be sold, as the grandfather has passed away.
I thought it might be a nice little unit to cart the T20 TracTractor around on to displays etc, however I know absolutely nothing about these trucks and looking for advice as to pursue it, or leave it alone, I don't know what engine and box is in it (didn't have an opportunity to look under the bonnet), I suspect brakes will require attention all round, new tyres, water holes etc and a good service, cab and interior looked to be mint, but would need to have a closer inspection.
I would be much appreciated on members advice as to tare, payload, parts availability, good or bad truck etc.

Cheers Jason
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #240197 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic International C1500 truck
The C1500 is a good, simple, straightforward, easy to handle truck. It will have a 281 or 282 six cylinder engine and a four speed box, with direct top not overdrive. I am pretty sure it will have 17 inch tyres on five stud wheels and a single speed dif. It should cruise at about 80k to 90k. My mate has a D1510 ( as far as I know the only difference is the D had lift up door handles and a different grille) and he tries to keep out of the way of following vehicles and had a blowout at 105k one day I was with him. I tell him I do not let following vehicles "push" me but I pull over as soon as possible to let them pass.
I think it may be a year or two older than 1968, as my mate says his D1510 is a 1968 model.

All parts are easily obtainable new.

One thing to beware of. When closing the bonnet, you MUST use your hand to move the safety catch to the left before pushing the bonnet right down, or you will break the latch.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMR XT5

More
1 year 6 months ago #240202 by 180wannabe
C1500 should have a 6-281 petrol motor, 4 speed gearbox, and 17" wheels. Engine is rated at 142 BHP at 3200 rpm and 241 lb.ft of torque at 1800 rpm.

2 wheelbases were available, 153" or 171".

Maximum GVW 13500 lbs.

Maximum GCW 22000 lbs.

1968 would be about right, the D Line didn't come out until 1972.

Brett.

More
1 year 6 months ago #240213 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic International C1500 truck
Jason, until just before the bushfires, I had a 1970 C1300 to cart my tractors around. It had 75,000 miles on the clock from new. It was ideal for the job, with plenty of power although a bit heavy in the steering at low speed. You won't use 1st gear unless you are either climbing cliffs or taking off on a steep hill. A tad thirsty in the fuel department but will cruise at 80-90 all day. Drop the speed back a bit and they aren't too bad. Sorry I don't still have it.

Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, KMR XT5

More
1 year 6 months ago #240214 by KMR XT5
Replied by KMR XT5 on topic International C1500 truck
Thank you Gents for all your info, few more questions, the T20 weighs around 3 tonne, so I'm hoping the C1500 tares at somewhere close to 3 tonne as GVM would be about 6.1 tonne.
I'll be looking at it more closely next week, so are their any particular areas to take particular notice of?

On a different note, we've just landed in Brisbane, now in our hotel, watched the weather on report, not looking good, are there any truck/car museums within a rough 2 hour radius from central Brisbane ? And any other suggestions on what we could do, here for Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers Jason

More
1 year 6 months ago #240217 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic International C1500 truck
These guys seem to be the "go to" for all things International...
www.fleetparts.com.au/

The Gatton Truck Museum should be on your agenda Too..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 6 months ago #240218 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic International C1500 truck
Not sure how long it takes to Gatton but they have an excellent truck museum
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 6 months ago #240221 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic International C1500 truck
Check for rust in the plenum chamber (air box) under the vent in the scuttle. Rust builds up there and at the bottom sides of the scuttle because rain gets in and drain holes at bottom always clog up. Carefully drill them out as big as you can. The rust is very common and very hard to get at to repair. After cutting out the rust, old mate used fibreglass because he could not get in to weld.

Mates D1510 has carrying capacity of three and a half tonnes. Maybe it is a 1976 model not a 1968. I forget, it is not my truck. It is two owner, first owner was a council and both owners say virtually never parked out in the open but still rusted as above.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 6 months ago #240226 by Mrsmackpaul
These aren't a bad little truck at all, for what they are.
Which is a truck aroynd 50 years old
They go okay but not quick and are prone to rust in the spots Morris has mentioned, I dont think I have ever seen one that hasn't

When I have cut the plenum open it has no holes drilled and it does have a big gap, have only done Dodges so Inters maybe different

Chocs many years ago showed how to repair them on here but that is long gone in the photo bucket debacle

Good luck and everything is repairable if you have enough hundreds

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 6 months ago #240228 by KMR XT5
Replied by KMR XT5 on topic International C1500 truck
Again, thank you all for the info, is the only way to check for rust in the plenum chamber by looking down the vents, or are there other ways to have a look?

Cheers Jason

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds