Skip to main content

Air brake parts identification questions.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242942 by asw120
Hi guys, there are some issues with the brakes on my dad's bus.
It's a 1978 IBC Mk3 with a 3208 and auto in the back.
Ever since he's had it, the park brakes take ages to release. Is that likely to be the relay valve? (the only ones I can identify, since they're so obvious).
Lately (it mostly sits around) the service brakes are sticking on and you have to jab the pedal to release them. Any ideas where we should look for that?
Also, could anyone tell me what these pictured things are, please? Just guessing to do with which air tank fills first. It has front and rear wet and dry tanks.
Many thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242943 by hayseed
The top 2 Pics are of a Relay Valve. Pic 3 is a quick release valve, & the bottom 2 are of the Spring Brake control Valve.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
1 year 3 months ago #242944 by asw120
Hayseed, excellent, thank you. I actually meant quick release valve was the only one I knew, had my terminology wrong.
I have to find a plumbing diagram for this thing. We tried to follow the hoses, but they just go into a sort of loom (too many).
At least I have something to go off, now.
After this, I have to chase a big leak on the White.....(exhausting heavily out the foot valve all the time - advised it may actually be a chamber)

Thanks again, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242945 by JOHN.K.
Your White will likely need a new kit in the foot valve............one clue for slow maxi blowoff,is to wait until full pressure is up,then push in the valve ......the extra pressure will seal the various valves and stop leaks that happen at low pressure..........the blowoff tank may be too small.........back in the day,you had to be able to release the maxis fully three times with the engine stopped.............might have a leaking diaphragm ,too.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by JOHN.K..

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242946 by BillyP
Many moons ago i remember with the westinghouse system , if the diaphram got all saggy in the quick release valve,
it would cover up the exhaust port, making the release very slow...........
A new release valve should fix the situation......
As a quick fix we would pull the quick release valve apart and flip over the diaphram...........
Whether that works with yours i would not know.............

...................Billy..................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by BillyP.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 3 months ago #242948 by Swishy
Lift the brake pedal up to expose the rubber boot and plunger and sparay sum WD40 to free up the pedal
they all may need a disassmble & clean and any rubber or 'O' rings re install with rubber grease or mums good petroleum jelly
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-josrcotf/images/stencil/608x608/products/5708/14983/SI932I__05636.1632834748.jpg?c=2
normally a brake shop will not stuff around ........ they fit new valves etc .......for safty reasons .......and the kits for the valves are dearer thsan a new valve
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242949 by wee-allis
Jarrod, Forget the brake problem. What's with the 3 legs. I see 2 with shoes and socks and one with thongs. Maybe the one is holding the peddle down when you arn't looking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242950 by Lang
Jarrod

I replaced both those identical valves on the Renault/Mack. They were leaking and sticking and internally corroded with oily/watery porridge. Action Mechanical used to be called Action Brakes in Northgate Brisbane ordered them in for me and I was very surprised how cheap they were. Took about an hour to chase all the various pipes (mark each and the corresponding valve port as you take them off!!!!) but it was like a new truck afterwards.

Air Brakes in Rocklea will actually rebuild stuff.

As the other blokes who know more than me mentioned could be in the foot valve
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242959 by hayseed

After this, I have to chase a big leak on the White.....(exhausting heavily out the foot valve all the time - advised it may actually be a chamber)

Jarrod, does it it only do it with the park Brake off..? or all the time.?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 3 months ago #242960 by mammoth
Treadle valve is a pretty frequent culprit and not many mechanics who have yet to retire have ever fitted a kit. A new E6 treadle valve will be around or less that $100. A trade secret from a towie is to squirt your favourite oily stuff down the compressor air intake, instant fix for exhausting treadle valve and other ills.

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds