Skip to main content

Eaton no 4 and tubeless tyres

More
1 year 3 months ago #242962 by ashmenz0
Hi All

Does anyone have an Eaton no 4 diff and running 22.5"tubeless tyres?

Cheers

Ash

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242967 by JOHN.K.
Tubeless have the same rolling radius as tube tyres........I assume you have a spider wheel.......tubeless rims simply fit on without any modification..........if you have 10 stud english type ,then the mod required to fit ISO 10 stud was talked about here a while ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0, 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242968 by ashmenz0
Hi John
I've sourced some new 22.5" rims for the front thanks to jon_d's recommendation of Oceanic Direct. I just need to check the different offset clears everything.

Yes, I have 5 stud spiders.

I asked the supplier can he supply 22.5" rims for my No 4 Eaton arse end (currently 20" rims) and he tells me that he can, same hub and spacer. I can't get my head around how this rim will sit where the 20" one does and have 22.5" tyres on it.

Am I going mad?

Cheers

Ash
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by ashmenz0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242970 by mammoth
Ash, The tubeless tyres have a lower profile (or aspect ratio) than tube type so for a larger diameter rim you end up with the same outside tyre diameter. Obviously 11R is 1" wider than 10.00R tube radials. The tubeless rims are pretty well standard at 8.25" wide for 11R but in the early days of tubeless 7.5" was not uncommon.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by mammoth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

More
1 year 3 months ago #242972 by 180wannabe
Hi Ash, i think you will find an 11R22.5 will be about the same size and shape as a 10.00x20. The tubeless rims are of course larger being 22.5", but the rims to suit spider hubs have a "centre" (for want of a better word) welded into them so that they mount up to a spider hub just the same as a 20" tube type rim does.

Maybe google up some photos of trucks with tubeless steer tyres, and you will see the difference compared with when the rim is around the other way when on the drive outer. The "centre" is easier to see when on the steer, you should see a small gap between the "centre" and the rim, which should make sense once you see it.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242973 by hayseed

I can't get my head around how this rim will sit where the 20" one does and have 22.5" tyres on it.

Am I going mad?

Cheers

Ash

Ash, the Adapter ring that clamps to your Hub is 20" diameter , whilst the Rim Itself is 22.5" diameter..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 3 months ago #242977 by mammoth
Similar deal when fitting 17.5" tubeless spiders to hubs previously carrying 15" tube type.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242980 by wouldyou
That well base centre allows you to place the bead in there to get the tyre over the rim.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0, 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242986 by cobbadog
When 22.5" rims first came to Oz our wheel shop decided to get on the band wagon and import Lemmertz rims first then went over to Michelins. At that stage adapters were not common so they had a company called Loadarm at Kurnell roll 30mm square bar to suit the rims and they welded them fully in place then machined the tapers in place. Yes different offsets were available.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0, 180wannabe

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 3 months ago #242988 by Swishy
Check tyre clearance on the sides eg: Springs & shackles and mud guards

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST