Skip to main content

Scotts in administration.

More
1 year 2 months ago #243993 by V8Ian
Supposedly the country's biggest refrigerated transport company. If they can't make a dollar, there's little hope for owner/drivers or small outfits.
Maybe safe rates was a good idea after all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #243994 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Scotts in administration.
It's at least the second (If not the 3rd) time Too..

www.fullyloaded.com.au/industry-news/080...-private-equity-mess

mhdsupplychain.com.au/2008/12/06/mccolls...never-going-to-work/

It's what happens when Private Equity/venture Capital gets Involved...

Same thing happened to Cootes..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago #243998 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Scotts in administration.
Won’t be long before there’s only 2 companies. One with red trucks and 1 with green trucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago #244009 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Scotts in administration.
Where did Scotts start up from?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 2 months ago #244014 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Scotts in administration.
Got an idea have always hailed from Mt. Gambier.

More
1 year 2 months ago #244016 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Scotts in administration.

Where did Scotts start up from?

This Mob Started out as Meat Carters out of Sydney....

The Scotts of MtGambier Group (Ascot/NTFS/ K&S Freighters/heggies Bulkhaul/Chemtrans. ect) are a completely Different Animal...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Dave_64

More
1 year 2 months ago #244018 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Scotts in administration.
Think there depot was at Hoxton Park in SYD

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #244019 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Scotts in administration.
The Scotts refrigerated Transport from Sydney may have been tied up with the Scotts Pies mob, used to have a yard off Anzac Parade in Botany.
IF it is the same mob, used to be owned by a bloke named Nick Karlos, pretty flash dresser, always had flash cars ,
liked his big Jaguar saloons.
Eastoes used to cart a lot of hanging meat for him down from Murgon in Qld.
As I said, IF its the same mob, at the time had a couple of spread drive fridge trailers but cant recall what P/movers.
Probably wrong, but they may have had a cupla permanent subbies pulling their fridges.
Bloody long time ago, but do remember a bloke from down Blakehurst way, had one of those DCO Inters.
Scotts Pies was a bugger of a place to unload at Anzac Pde, you had to be there no later than about 5 or 5:30 am, back in off the road on the blind side through a really narrow doorway and then drop the prime mover off and go around a side street and hide.
Used to have a few blokes come in as casuals to hump the meat, who used to get paid daily and then head for the early opener!

Very first load I did in there, couple of the casual meat lumpers never turned up and there was another fridge van, think it was one of Roadmasters 8 wheelers, waiting to unload after me.
Back then, DPI were pretty strict about who was allowed to handle meat, especially hanging stuff.
I had a full 40 foot glass pan of pigs which had simply been split in half down the backbone.
Although never handling actual hanging meat, thought I was reasonably fit.
Was asked if I could give a hand to unload and told, "the boss'll look after you!"
Definately a knack to it, they had this wooden ramp they'd put on the floor and then these other two guys, one an ex jockey, would walk up the ramp, swing the half carcass with one hand and lift it at the same time dropping it onto their shoulders. They had it down pat.
So once I got the hang of it, away we go.
By the time we got to the front of the pan, I'm completly stuffed! Covered in fat and blood, can no longer swing them up, reduced to carrying them across my wrists, backbones like razors from the saws.
These other two roosters are all gung-ho, want me outta the way so they can start on the rigid truck!
I take all the relevant paperwork in to be signed, covered in crap, looking like I'd fell out of the arse of a coffin, only to be told, remembering that I'd " be looked after", expecting a cash sling, to" go up the canteen and get yourself a pie, tell them Nick sent you!".
I was that knackered I wasn't even going to argue!
Back at the yard to steam out, the boss asked me why I was looking the way I did, so explained what happened.
After being ticked off about not being allowed by DPI to handle hanging meat, told me to go have a shower and come back and see him.
He'd been on the phone to the pie joint and gave them a serve and told them that they were going to be charged 3 hrs demurrage for stuffing us around.
Those days, from memory it was about $20 per hour demurrage for truck and driver, mid 70's and true to his word, I was given the $60 on payday!
Buy a lot of pies for 60 bucks then!
AND, was never asked to give the boys a " chop out" ever again!
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, PaulFH, asw120, Tacho, oliver1950

More
1 year 2 months ago #244020 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Scotts in administration.
It was started by a fridge mechanic, in the early '50s. He started with one truck.

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds