Skip to main content

285 Maxidyne.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248061 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 285 Maxidyne.
Mrs, you are right in saying that truck speed limits, especially in the Eastern states, were a lot lower, e.g 80kph during that period.
Problem was, running Syd-Adel express, you simply did not have the time to gin about, company would get you out at midnight, still expected in next afternoon!
Which of course threw any attempt of economy out the door!
Gearing at 100 kph, where you could get away with it, Maxidyne was right up on peak revs, which was not what the engine was designed for!
1200-1300 rpm prolly give you around the 80kph, ideal for engine, couldn't keep times up though.
I will agree that even the old 237 Maxidyne/5 speed did a mighty job, didnt like strong head or cross winds across the Hay Plains, though
Bloke I shared an F model with used to have a hardwood wedge he would wire to the accelerator and just rest his foot on said wedge.
Used to bop along the plains until the revs got too low so then have to downshift, take next 20km to get speed up again!
Reckon weights would have been pushed out to around the 38 tonne on a tri!
Recall doing the weekender out of Adel, one time, overweight so was instructed to come over the Mountains (Mt Vic) , earned my pay that trip!
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248062 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 285 Maxidyne.
Even the 320 struggles on the Hay plains with a high load, but once across it feels like a power house

I dunno if there's a certain way to cross the Hay plains that doesn't catch the wind
It is always a slow grind in my old bombs

To be fair, Australian trailers are pretty high and back when people tarped trailers still loads seemed higher again

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248084 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 285 Maxidyne.
Yeah!
Even the tri axle 'Jumbo Pans' made pretty hard work of it!
Seems time of year had a bit to do with it as well, Aug-Sept used to be bad for winds
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248108 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic 285 Maxidyne.
The tip-turbine fan is the whole heart of the system to maintain the lower temperature in the intercooler and to work efficiently needs unrestricted clean air. Without the air cleaner, the dirt would build up in the intercooler and block up in no time and the bearings in the tip turbine might be affected also. The cartridge in the intercooler is not cheap if you damage it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds