Skip to main content

Chinese Six

More
14 years 1 month ago #25290 by jimbo51
Chinese Six was created by jimbo51
As the Leyland LAD Octopus topic in Restorations was at risk of being diverted by a discussion of the twin steer single drive configuration I thought it might be worth starting a topic dedicated to the subject.

At Ampol Melbourne in the 80's we had an Isuzu of this configuration. Short wheelbase with a small, four compartment tank and 4 rear mounted hose reels for oil deliveries to anyone with bulk oil storage rather than drums.

No photos of that one but here's one of Ipec's.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25291 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Chinese Six
the old mercedes truck i have is twin steer single drive .. also a pantech ..unfortunally its going to be a long time restoration ..by the way i have a a pantech the same as the one in your IPEC photo . . a old lucar 28ft alloy pan

14 years 1 month ago #25292 by
Replied by on topic Re: Chinese Six
IPEC also had M.A.N. twin steer single rear aswell. I think Shell may have had an Albion in Sydney.

14 years 1 month ago #25293 by
Replied by on topic Re: Chinese Six
Kenny, is/was your Benz red with a black wheelarch painted on the pan above the 2nd steer axle? Jeff.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25294 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Chinese Six
no it was originally a ex "ad-link" ..adelaide to port lincoln furniture truck .. the guys i bought it off were in victoria ..it is all white with a steel pan with "full skirts" its a 1985, 1425 V series

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 1 month ago #25295 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Chinese Six

Jimbo
GuddayM8
Gr8 Pix
keep m cummin

Just to alter u're train of thort for a mo

can anybody remember A KW 8x4 all on torsion bars front n rear
I think I seen it @ the opening of the KW factory @ bayswater early 70's
it twaz spose 2 B a demo truck painted red oxide under coat all over
the COE K cab twaz low mounted with entry mayB in front of wheels
probly didn't C the light of day on the rd coz of the weid torsion bar on steers n may B handlin on rd problemz

ButEyeDOSt&2BCorrected
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 1 month ago #25296 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Chinese Six
Remember it well Swishy.

(with the usual risks of memory corruption)

Brought out as an evaluation vehicle from, I think, KW Canada. It was around when I worked at Bayswater which was 1974-77.

Display at a truck show, possibly Brisbane around 1975.

The movement inherent in the torsion bar suspension allowed the axles to tend to steer around a corner rather than scrubbing. This is fine on drive axles in helping to reduce tyre wear but apparently added some unwanted excitement on the steer. I recall a comment that it was particularly hairy on railway crossings.

End result of the evaluation was that there was no further action on the project. Truck was subsequently cut down to a single steer prime mover and purchased by Brown & Mitchell. Affectionately known there as the Camel Truck.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25297 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Chinese Six
I used to do a Mittagong/Sydney courier run in a ford trader.[great downhill, empty]. Every other morning, early, I would by passed by a blue twin steer, single drive UD with the word "ICE" on the air foil. They would pass me like I was standing still.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25298 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
My Scammell Routeman MkII was an 8 wheeler but is now a Chinese Six as a previous owner converted it to carry a garbage compactor & cut off the back lazy axle & some chassis length. And no, I will never stop whinging about that act of vandalism of an historic Ex-Shell tanker Scammell.
This Ex-Rapid Transport truck is a 1974 MAN 8.186 with 180HP slanted 6cyl & ZF pogo stick gearbox but has major rust in the cab/roof falling in & if I could get a rust free cab I'd like to restore it. These are in NSW, Australia, but I also have photos from UK of Chinese Six ERF prime movers.

Kind Regards
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25299 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Chinese Six
Jimbo51,

Thanks for posting the pics of the Canadian set-back axle K154 - that's a variation on the K100 theme I never saw before, the only set-back axle models I saw were the ones KW sold on the Swiss and Israeli markets but that thing is even more radical...

(bigger pics of the Swiss variety here: www.toprun.ch/truck/12-2005/Daniel/.viewer/viewer.html )

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Tatra.

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds