Skip to main content

INTERS POWERED BY 160 CUMMINS ENGINES

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26232 by gilly

A rare find on one property, after many phone calls, I have managed to secure these two old trucks for a resto project.After driving the first one home on Monday, the ears are still ringing from the exhaust as we sped down the highway at 90ks, sped limited of course :'( I have more photos, once I work out this photo bucket. My old Cummins friend found his w/shop manual, we are going to give the first one a tune up, injector settings etc, on Friday. Has any one else got one of these trucks/ or engine plant. I do have a contact for a DODGE with a 160 as well, apparently the cab is a bit rough, might call in & sus it out if I go to Lockington on the 24th, I may only want the motor,apparently its a good one, recoed withnot a lot of work since. Hope to get to some shows from now on.. Regards GG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 2 weeks ago #26233 by
I've got a farmer mate who lives in the SE Wheatbelt, and he's got an AB-184 with a C160 Cummins in her. It's a really nice old truck, shedded all the time, and only comes out at harvest and seeding time.
Not exactly a high speed hwy machine, but it never bothered him, he only lives about 5-6kms from the wheat bin.

More
14 years 1 week ago #26234 by melonreo
hi Gilly
nice pair you got your self .
i want to ask a couple of 160-180 cummins questions does any one know of a good supplier of parts and information .
i have owned since i was a younger lad a RD200. i have a very strong feeling it is factory fitted cummins cummins 160 but it now has a headless supercharged 180 in it ,hence i am looking for lots of parts ... i will have to pull the donk out to hopefully hone her up fresh ..

SO HERE IS THE TWIST

we all know that cummins of this model will crack heads ,
but the rumour mill tells me that -
head gaskets are impossible to buy
conrod bolts are impossible to buy
and if you touch the bottom end at all (undo the rod bolts) you should replace them .
i know we can get head gaskets made for most things. does any body have a manual that highlites anything about these conrod bolts or the assembly process. or even a place to purchase a book ......thanks pat... :)

14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #26235 by
Pat - I don't know what the exact situation is regarding parts for the C-160/C-175/C-180, but the general trend that I pick up from forums, is that parts are very difficult to source for these engines, even in America.

Cummins refuse point-blank, to offer any parts or service support for them .. they regard them as ancient history and don't want to know about them.

It appears there are several companies in the U.S. who are trying to provide parts/service and supply of these engines, and there are a surprising number of these engines for sale, in good used condition.

A lot of these engines are possibly ex-military, which is where a lot of good low-hr stuff come from, when the military have disposal sales.
You will find that you'll most likely be able to obtain an excellent condition C-series runner, from the States, much more quickly, and for far less .. than trying to rebuild a motor you already have, that's in poor condition.

Those odd U-bolt-shaped big end bolts are definitely a problem area, and I haven't seen anyone offering replacements or modifications.
It appears to be crucial that they be replaced upon overhaul .. which means that a lot of good engines have probably been scrapped because no bolts were available. You should be able to get them made, but it would be a pricey project.

Manuals are available, either used, via eBay, or reproduction varieties. Be careful that you don't buy Jensales reproduction manuals, they are crap, with extremely poor quality of reproduction.

Jobbersinc .. www.jobbersinc.com/cummins.htm

West Coast Diesel .. www.westcoastdiesel.com/

Adelmans truck parts .. www.rockanddirt.com/attachments-for-sale/invnum=757987

Kloners Supply .. www.klonersupply.com/engines.nxg

Diesel Engine Trader .. www.dieselenginetrader.com/

Here on the left coast, I've found Noordeman Diesel, trading as Diesel Spares, very helpful when it comes to sourcing rare parts. They have contacts worldwide, and will tell you what they can supply, and whether certain parts are made of unobtainium, very quickly ..

Diesel Spares .. www.dieselspares.com.au/index.html

Cheers - Ron ..

More
14 years 1 week ago #26236 by IHScout
Hi Gilly,
Nice pair of inters. I have a D line with the 160 Cummins. By the shape and position of the indicators I'd say both of your are C line, but one of them has a D line grill. My D line has a C line grill so I'd be happy to swap grills with you if you're interested. I could be wrong. You may have one of the first Ds as I don't think they changed the indicators straight away. D lines came out in 1972.

I've got a workshop manual for mine (cab and chassis only, no engine info) and can copy pages for you if you need.

Dennis

More
14 years 1 week ago #26237 by Bud Tierney
Unfortunately, I can add to the rod bolt thing...in a discussion of C and J models, probably on the Vintage Diesel forum in smokstak.com here (States), was a reply either from an old Cummins man, or from someone who knew an old Cummins man, who stressed the importance of replacing those rod bolts in overhaul, but that it isn't mentioned in any Cummins manual.
There was also a mention that C's and J's were used in fishing boats, and NOS parts could sometimes be found in older maritime dealers back rooms.

14 years 1 week ago #26238 by
My C Line a good truck way back when.......

14 years 1 week ago #26239 by
I always replace big end - main bolts on a Re build
as the clamping touque stretch the bolts.
You may get away with using them again but after seeing failures i never take the chance.
The rod U bolts on the C series always stretched on the initial touque. Being a U bolt i would never take the chance....

More
14 years 1 week ago #26240 by tim
Gaz, they're looking good. Which 1 did u bring home the left or the right. r they both prime movers or is the left 1 a tray. cya Tim :D

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
14 years 1 week ago #26241 by gilly
Its good to see that I am not the only bloke who has an interest in these old girls. The cab parts are getting hard to find, certainly appears I will ahve some challenges. The plain red one I drove home has the owners service book in the glovebox, delivered in Horsham at the IH dealer 24.5.71. Another book, Driving Cummins Diesels, is also included. Looking for spares, I have found a guy in Sth Aust with 2 complete motors, one being a 180, A Dodge with a rusty cabin, motor is 160 apparently in good nick. I have found a guy locally who attends the IAME diesel nights, he has the Cummins w/shop manual which he has lent to me, also helped me do the valve clearances, injector settings etc, 48 in lbs we set them at, old girl has a nice clear beat now, so all is looking good. The rego quote at vic roads was hard to swallow, quoted me approx $2200 for 12 months, look closer at that later. Brakes etc for roadworthy next on the agenda.

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds