Skip to main content

Scrollwork and striping pics?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26748 by Cunning Stunt
That looks great Cam. Age and experience seem to be the go.

Here is a few pics of both my Commer and my mate Ross' Commer and Thames, all done by Thrush signs in Sydney. Dave Thrush is in his mid 70's and has been doing it all of his life. No vinyl here........

And this is my Jimmy Dodge, probably done sometime in the 70's. Artist unknown.

Hope they help.

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26749 by bigcam
Bruce is the bottom commer the one with the 4/53 in it, or was that one yellow?
All the old school blokes seem to be retiring, it's a bit of a dieing art, better start practicing Sammy.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26750 by sammygt
Yeah it seems to be another one of the dying arts, with art being the key word, these guys are amazing! Anyone can vinyl pin, but it's a master who can do something as great as these old fellas. I wouldn't be putting a brush anywhere near one of my old s**t heaps for a long time I don't reckon, let alone anyone elses.

It's definitely given me a few ideas for The TK though fellas thanks a lot.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26751 by bigcam
Here's the finished article.

A couple of the Road Boss

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26752 by Cunning Stunt
Cam, that looks fantastic, really sets it off and suits the era. There are no excuses now, forget the kerosene kangaroo, bring the truck!!

And yes, the bottom one is the 4/53 powered one ready and waiting ;)

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26753 by bigcam
Well we've seen the good, here's the bad, and the ugly, a couple of before pics.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26754 by Swishy

Az we like to do everything ourselves this iz wot we do
When cab is ready to paint we want a wide blue line
so we spraya good thik coat ruffly in the area we need the line
then we grab sum 25 mm masking tape n tape over the cab where line needs 2 B
we spray cab the desired color (Battleship Gray) then while the paint is going dry we remove the masking tape to reveal the blu line
I use 2 B able to buy reflective white lines to stik on th@ glow in the dark but now only plain white @ 3mm wide
I get my designs cut @ the local sign joint for me to stik on cab

Yes I do design all me own signs
LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26755 by
Replied by on topic Re: Scrollwork and striping pics?
G'day CS and Cam

I have just had a really close look at the 'B&R Gunter' signwriting and I have to say that Dave Thrush has produced the most truly stunning piece of work that I have ever seen in my truck sales experience, followed by 15+ years in the sign business.

The subtle contrast of the drop shadow to the cab colour, accentuated by the black lowlights. The Gold Text with the white edgelights. Its a masterpiece.

With Dave and Lee in the same country, you have at least 2 true artists.

Cam ... The finished Reo is a testament to your engineering expertise. Its Bloody fantastic !

OK, I am now fully flattered-out :D

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #26756 by Cunning Stunt
Wow Roland, that's a pretty big response :) but one that I have to agree with. I was overwhelmed with the job that Dave did and even more overwhelmed with the reaction that it created with all who have seen it (apart from the original owner of the truck who said that I had ruined it by 'overdoing the restoration' :-[)

Dave had a pile of photos of the his work back into the 50's including one of an identical Commer owned by a local firm that they had removed all of the grill bars, had them chromed along with the bumper bar and then lined and scrolled and all when it was brand new in 1958. Best thing was that at the end of my job, he literally charged me pocket money for the job, just does it as a hobby now! He is truly a gentleman.

Thanks for the compliments Roland ;)

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by Cunning Stunt.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #26757 by davjoh
if john y had his white looking as good this one sammygt vic roads would not have put it of the road yesterday loaded with bricks in the tipper and parked it up in dorset road with a canary to go over the pits . they said rust was the main problem. he has only just spent $1000 on the back end. i will show him a photo of what a nice rig yours is.

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds