Skip to main content

Scrollwork and striping pics?

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #26768 by Chocs
Hi mate
BEFORE YOU DOIN ANYTHING.......TRY A TEST PIECE!!!!...DON'T START IN THE MIDDLE OF YA DOOR!!!
Test the panel you need to work on, panels may have been individually painted or touched up at some stage.
There is every chance you are not the first bloke to do this on this old buggy!!!
Sometimes a 'stripe' or 'panel' may have been 'overpainted' to cover a whoops or a previous name etc.
Secondhand surface....
a good 'cut' using a silicone free cutters or buffing compound, be gentle though...this surface is already old...maybe straight enamel, baked enamel or backed acrylic, depending on the history...
remember, we are only cleaning and re opening the surface as a prep, we are not restoring paint as such..
New surface...
if its up to standard, as in, flat smooth and shiny, just a clean with isopropyl alcohol, then keep ya sticky fingers off!
With some two pack jobs, i very lightly scotchbrite the surface to be panelled, letterered or lined....BE CAREFUL there will be scratchs visible if you go outside the finished mark..
There are a few examples, sometimes you need to employ several tricks on the one buggy....depends who has been playing with what before you..
Hope that helps, sorry its long winded...just remember, this is a guide only...the way i do it...most times it works for me....
chocs
remember everyone has a mate that can paint!!
is that a good thing????? 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #26769 by GM Diesel
Thanks Chocs,

Thanks for that.
Im thinking of having a go at the Tranny myself.
Painting a couple of practice doors when I do the cab this weekend. Have a practice on them and see if I can get the hang of it.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds