Skip to main content

Surviving iconic trucks

More
15 years 8 months ago #1491 by huppypuppy

Just a point with the Leader trucks. There is actually a Leader truck under restoration by one of the Guys in the HCVC at the moment.

Will try and get some photos of it but it is currently pulled right down as a chassis up restoration is being done. And I didn't get a photo prior to the dismantle! Will contact the owner and see if I can get a photo.

Jarrod,

Will post a piccie of one I know the owner of when I get them - she's a MidRanger A8-208 tipper owned by Graham and Diane McKechnie Earthmoving and Water Cartage of Dubbo!

Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #1492 by
Replied by on topic Re: Surviving iconic trucks

somewhere in my grey matter I had the idea that LEADER's where actually made here in Australia using MACK cabs or cab panels with different radiator panels etc.... :-/ or did I just dream that.

Mark,

The reason Mack comes into the Leader story is because Cyril Anderson, the man behind Leader, actually imported the "B" Model into Australia and then ended up receiving manufacturing rights from Mack HQ in Allenstown, Pennsylvania, USA - I do stand to be corrected!! Leader made their own galvanised cabs or, as atkipete said, sourced the fibreglass ones from Melbourne. If you look at a Leader (which I will certainly get photos of one!), the cabs weren't based on Mack's cabs at all! The only truck which came close to having another cab is the MIR700 Mack, which had the Brockway N527TL Huskiteer cabin on it - refer to my post, Mack MIR700, for a picture of one!

Joe

Hi Joe, have you got the Rob Laurent book?

Leader didn't make any galvanised cabs and they did use an "F" model Mack cab for the Leader plastic cabs.
They sent an F model Mack cab to a fiberglass place in Melbourne, Reinforced Plastics actually, this cab had a few changes, slightly stretched was one change, these plastic cabs made by Reinforced Plastics were then put on the Leader trucks.
See page 60 for details of the plastic cabs.
Have a good read, it's a bloody excellent interesting story, well written and researched and then all will be revealed.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 8 months ago #1493 by huppypuppy
Greenie,

I think I've read it a million times - I must apologise! I forgot most of what the book is about! Mainly the Mack influence!

Joe

PS: Please check my latest thread, Mack MIR700 - I've got the info I need from the Dodge AT4 675 one!

More
15 years 8 months ago #1494 by kennymopar
the leaders are a great classic aussie truck..if they wernt so expensive(they sure have held their value over the years)id probably be driving one right now..whilst on the subject of fibreglass cabs who made the cabs for the "atkinson" ?

More
15 years 8 months ago #1495 by huppypuppy
Kenny,

Reinforced Plastics in Melbourne did the fibreglass work on the Atkisons! Atkipete can confirm this for me!

Joe

More
15 years 8 months ago #1496 by melonreo
Hey Deadly sounds like u r unsure of the direction u were headin when you were lookin in that rear view mirror :Dcan happen on them long trips ;D

keep :) ;),
melon

More
15 years 8 months ago #1497 by huppypuppy

the leaders are a great classic aussie truck..if they wernt so expensive(they sure have held their value over the years)id probably be driving one right now..whilst on the subject of fibreglass cabs who made the cabs for the "atkinson" ?

Kenny,

I saw a Inter based Atkinson Tuesday arvo - she had a similar driveline and cab to the T2650/T2670 Inters!

Joe

More
15 years 8 months ago #1498 by huppypuppy

Australia seems to have preserved a number of its pioneering/famous trucks.

The Rhodes Ridley over here in West Oz
The AEC Government Road Train up in Alice Springs
The Rotinoff/s
Kurt Johanssen's "Big Bertha" DT
The first Aussie-built KW
Even Abood's Fodsworth or whatever it is seems to pop up every now and then.

Can you think of any more local designs, first imports or oddities that created a stir when they were new and still survive?

Andy me mate,

KW Number 1 is still alive - she's up in the Road Transport Hall Of Fame in the Alice!

I is hoping, but may not succeed, to get to the Road Transport Hall Of Fame next Winter!

Joe

PS: If I do, I'm gonna buy ya heaps of pressies!

15 years 8 months ago #1499 by
Replied by on topic Re: Surviving iconic trucks
Hey Pat she was bloody big brute of a truck and it ended me up in court and of cause i LOST as far as LEADER trucks who cares. Dave ;D ;D ;D

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #1500 by huppypuppy
I am gonna add me 2 bobs worth here! I feel the most iconic trucks of all the Mack B Models were the B61 and B615

An immaculately restored B61:

Fast Fred Goldspring's immaculately restored B615 - this thing bl@@dy barks!! (Pardon the pun, blokes!):
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by huppypuppy.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds