Skip to main content

Fuel

More
15 years 10 months ago #1719 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: Fuel
at the moment ive a inter 345 ..with a 4BBL(from a 392) inlet manifold
& extractors ..running gas .. its sitting in a little 510a acco ..dont know when ill get her back on the road..i have to do my dodge AT4 first !
im sure the inter V8s had sodium filled exhaust valves which are benificial with lpg also i think from the early 70s usa motors had hardish valve seats

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1720 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Fuel
I think the 6-282 engine had sodium cooled exhaust valves but not sure about the V345 or v392. The IH brochures I have dont mention it.
There is an chap in Adelaide doing a book on the Aussie Dodge trucks and I am sure he would he would like to hear about your experience with them. His phone number is in the last Monitor, if not I can email it to you. Regards Pete

More
15 years 10 months ago #1721 by kennymopar
cool i know a little about the dodge trucks (including the D3F) ive had a few(to many) over the years..ive still a few pamplets etc for them
cheers ken

..nothing wrong with the old accos ..even if they had the neuss donk !

More
15 years 10 months ago #1722 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: Fuel
The Inter 345s in the Scouts certainly run ok on gas and have been very reliable. Info I've read on line suggest the 345s built in the States have hardened valve seats and have been designed to run on all grades of fuel including Propane. The Aussie built engines may be different.

In regards to ecconomy, my partners Subaru Forrester gets 9l/100k. The Scout gets 23l/100k on gas, bit the price differential between petrol and gas makes the Scout cheaper to run than the Subaru (and more fun to drive). :D

Dennis

More
15 years 10 months ago #1723 by kennymopar
the cheap price of lpg helps us keep our old relics on the road..i recently used 400litres of gas in my dodge from melb-newcastle cost me $280 ..my nissan UD uses 300litres of diesel @ $560 ... anyone want to buy a UD ? ;)

More
15 years 10 months ago #1724 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Fuel
The 345 would have an easy life in the Scout, but they worked a bit too hard in the larger trucks. At the Alex truck show there was a fellow selling a system that runs about 20% LPG in a diesel engine.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1725 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: Fuel
:) The price of petrol to run the old girls is abit rich . THe R-200 cost $240.00 the other day to fill one step tank to go and play down Eastlink. Maybe its time to put the gas tank on and run straight LP Gas. Supergas in Vic is now selling Propane at the bowser wich give you better economy the auto gas which is blended. Podge

• Topic Author
15 years 9 months ago #1726 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fuel
Just got back from Mt Gamiber SA with a Acco Butter Box fire truck and from the Mount to Melb it used 180 Lts of petrol and did 489 KLM'S the old girl didn't miss a beat. Dave

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds