Skip to main content

Help with some questions?

More
13 years 10 months ago #31012 by oldfulla
Hello All

Can anyone please assist me by answering all or any of my following 3 (unrelated) questions?

Q1: Does anyone of the

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 10 months ago #31013 by Swishy

OlFulla
GuddayM8
I might have a bash @ Q:1
If U allow me

TD 24 Dozer is from the old school n N mainly painted Inter Red probly bout 25 ton + or - 3

The TD 25 Dozer (E) is the more modern one from the mid 80's n depend n how they dressed, tipt the scales @ 32517kg

RE: EG; A TD14 was 14ton
Well bare they may B cupla ton lighter n fully dressed 3 or 4 ton heavier

RE: Search n for ol post
@ the top of the screen near the left tiz another SEARCH button, hit on th@
then put in the word U B lookn for
n the 5th line down in search
This post was made in the last...
make th@ (all posts)
n hit search n best of luck
LOL
@ times if U googlize the same word, U have more luck in findin posts @ HCVC BB

But az always
EyeDoSt&2BCorrected
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 10 months ago #31014 by bigcam
Hi Pete, the origonal post from memory was by Tatra or Roland and had a picture of a McIvor SAR with one Air Cleaner, that was how I knew it was Casey's truck, which by the by I've heard he still has. It's most certainly ex McIvor, and from memory the only one they had with one air cleaner. Again from memory, 350 Cummins, 12515, and 44's on 6 rod. The photo was taken in Mt Isa, the morning after another chap who we where traveling with, and I was actually with him, ran over a bowser with the dog at about 1 in the morning. I was sitting the cab of the Superliner which was ex TOP transport with him when he did it. He swung a bit early when we left the bowsers, and the 2nd trailer ended up with the first axle of the tri pretty much over the bowser after flattening the bit of 6" piope concreted in the ground to protect it. Well when we stopped and got out, my mate was spewing. Words to the effect of "If it was some d*ic*khead working for you, you'd sack them on the spot" I was doing my best not to see the humerous side, seeing as number one, it wasn't me, and number 2, old mate was really dropping his lolly. Anyway, about 20 minutes later the other 2 blokes we where traveling with turned up, and funnily enough they could see the funny side of it as well, pretty much for the same reasons as me. Only thing was, it shut the jiont down till the next day, and because fuel was cheaper in Queensland than NT, we where waiting till it was sorted out. Old mates Superliner was one of 6 I think built for Top's, 400 Cummins and 13 speed, Casey's truck had a 350 smallcam in it, and Glen, the other bloke we where with had an R700 with a V8, 2 valve smoke machine in it, economy plus (not), so the Superliner was well in truly out in front between Cammoweal and Mt Isa.

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31015 by
Replied by on topic Re: Help with some questions?
Oldfulla - The figures associated with crawler tractor nomenclature don't ever really relate to anything. The story you heard is pretty good, but it isn't true.

The TD-24 of 1954 weighed 38,350lbs (17,400kgs) bare tractor. Rear mount rippers in that era were almost unheard of, they didn't appear until the late 1950's. TD-24's were never designed to fit a rear mount ripper on them .. however some probably were fitted with rippers at a later stage.

A TD-24 with a blade, canopy and winch (cable blade) would have come in about another 5 tonnes, making a fully rigged TD-24 about 22.5 tonnes, or a whisker over 22 imperial tons.
The TD-25 of 1960 came in at about 52,500 lbs (23,820kgs), fitted up the same as the TD-24.
With a ripper fitted, the weight would be well over 25 tonnes.

The problems facing all manufacturers, was that new improved models, were nearly always larger, more powerful, and heavier than previous models .. even though they often bore a similar model number.

This was the challenge that Cat faced in the late 1920's, when the old Cat models were 2-Ton, 5-Ton and 10-Ton. Then they went over to big numbers that people thought represented HP of the tractor. However, some tractor makers quoted drawbar HP and others quoted engine (flywheel or belt) HP. It was a constant struggle for the salesmen, trying to compare apples to oranges. They wanted numbers that represented nothing, and that were unaffected by HP and weight changes .. so Cat came up with the D2, D4, D6, D7, D8, etc ..

Internationals probably started out with approximate tonnage weights for model numbers .. but that wasn't helped by the fact that the Yanks nearly always used the "short ton" of 2000lbs, instead of the imperial ton of 2240 lbs .. ::)

Then came the model "upgrades" that saw weights and HP ratings ramp up appreciably. The fully rigged TD-15C weighed a lot more than 15 tons, after gaining weight from the TD15B, which gained weight from the TD-15-150.

As a general rule, the weights of tractors varied appreciably, according to how they were equipped, which related to which industry they were used in. An ag tractor was pretty much a bare tractor .. whereas a damsinkers tractor set up for clearing and damsinking, with tree canopy, guards, heavy duty undercarriage, and treebar, would weigh well above any manufacturers specs.

Re: the Classic Commercials magazine .. newsagents and retail outlets only stock what magazines they think they can sell. If they find one magazine doesn't sell well in their area, they stop stocking it.

Re: the SAR picture. Google is your friend .. and the HCVC forum is high on the Google list of hits. Type in "SAR Kenworth" or some other term you're searching for .. along with HCVC, and you're bound to find it, after you scroll through several pages of Google hits .. ;)

More
13 years 10 months ago #31016 by mammoth
Classic Commercials used to turn up at my Newsagent much the same time as Heritage Comercials but I haven't seen it for 2 issues. rarely bought it because it was very expensive and was mostly pictures of trucks we have seen before, and part of it was on rubbish paper. Consolation is that a new Aussie vintage truck magazine (published by the people who do THe Old Machinery Magazine) is being launched at the Dubbo show in August

More
13 years 10 months ago #31017 by werkhorse
can't help much but I collect Vintage Roadscene and Heritage Commercials and found that my locol stopped getting it in so I asked him why and he said ...don't sell many so I asked him to get and hold me both mags every issue and he now stocks them only for me as in 1 issue each month.

I'd try asking them to get what you want and if you can give them an assurance that you'll buy it they would most likely do it. maybe try paying in advance.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
13 years 10 months ago #31018 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Help with some questions?
my local newsagent does the same for me. In fact if either my wife or myself go in they present us the magazine over the counter. The trick is to be a regular so they know you

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31019 by
Replied by on topic Re: Help with some questions?
G'day Oldfulla

You mean this one ?

Cams right on the button with spec, clever sod :)

October '81 Truckin Life 'Road Train of the Month'

Cheers
RS :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #31020 by oldfulla
WOW!!

More
13 years 10 months ago #31021 by Another Truck Fan
The link to the new Aussie magazine is www.vtcmagazine.com.au