Skip to main content

brake drums

More
13 years 9 months ago #32534 by white9000
brake drums was created by white9000
g'day when putting new brake shoes on should you put new drums on as well? i have had different opinions, if so, would a 1/2 " rattle gun be enough to tighten the bolts back up enough,or would i need a 3/4 drive gun.My 1/2" gun is 200lb/ft max.I have seen 3/4" on ebay for around $100 which are around 600 lb/ft. thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32535 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: brake drums
All depends what size nuts you are referring to. In the case of cars tyre shops now use a special twisty steel socket extension to prevent overtightening. In the case of big trucks finish tightening by hand and you will discover rattle guns have their limits.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #32536 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: brake drums
Depends on how well you want your brakes to work. If you want them to work properly, get the drums machined by the same mob you get the shoes relined so that they match, or if they are worn out, get new drums. A lot of american stuff the drums are reasonably cheap.
If you don't really care, just bang the linings in the old drums.
1/2" drive rattle guns are for cars etc, 3/4" and 1" drive, or 6 foot bit of pipe are the go for trucks generally.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by bigcam.

More
13 years 9 months ago #32537 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: brake drums
Good advice Cam...
This is my opinion only...they way i do it if doing a reline..
New linings, drums, bearings, seals, all hardware including s cam kits.
I do run my trucks for a living though.
I can't see a lot of point fitting new linings in old worn out drums, to see them blow apart and injure someone..
Same with brake springs..you don't break them often, but there is a lot of inconvenience when you do.
For a bit over $100 a drum ( for most US / trailer stuff)..you would not risk one flying apart.
I know some drums are not available any longer and others are expensive..
In these cases, common sense must prevail..
Ask yourself, how would i feel if a negligent repair hurt someone i cared for...that should help your descision..
Use the internet and look up a torque chart for the nuts and bolts being used....use this as a guide only..seek professional advice if you are not sure..
How old are the bolts you are tightening???????
Perhaps they are well past the replacement date..
they may have already had many retensions over their service life to date...again new bolts are cheaper than a major failure
If you are not sure...don't do it..there is no such thing as a silly question
Do it easy
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 9 months ago #32538 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: brake drums
rattle them up with your 1/2" rattle gun and finish off by hand. Never rely on a rattle gun for correct torque.
if you are getting your drums machined you wont have to remove them off the hubs. if you are replacing the bearings fit the cups into the hubs before machining.

If it was a customer job i would either replace the drums or get them machined and get the shoes radius ground. that way there would be no come backs and the shoe and drum will be a perfect match.

if it was mine and a rarely used toy and the drums are reasonably flat i would rough up the drum with some coarse sandpaper, knock the lip off the drum and fit the new linings and live with the odd noise and slight shudder. also drive with your foot on the brake to bed them in a few times.

heres a torque chart
www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds