Skip to main content

years of manufacture Inter C line

More
13 years 8 months ago #33298 by cobba
Gday fellas.
Got a question for all the inter nuts out there.
I reckon I know my Internationals reasonably well but would like to hear others input on it too.

I am looking at a C1300 that's for sale. The owner reckons it's a 1975 model???
To me a 1975 model should have been a D1310? What's your thoughts.

The cab says it is a C, not a D. Has push button doors and all the other C type attributes.

The big question is, when was the transition from C line to D?

Cheers. Cobba.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33299 by cobba
Should add.

He says the chassis number is C907. 3 digits only. I would have thought more numbers myself?)
Engine is 628100450. Both numbers check out on REVS as a match with rego number.

My thoughts are that it is an early C line. Most likely a 68 or 69 model as the 69 C1300 I have has numbers that came soon after these.

The reason I am asking all of this is that the truck is legally registered without seat belts in NSW, but I am pretty sure that if I were to transfer it to Vic reg that it will need to be upgraded. IE: an Engineers report. It has to be pre 1970 to comply with Vic reg. I would have imagined that NSW was a similar time too :-/

More
13 years 8 months ago #33300 by Coupeute
My info starts the D series in 1973 with smaller trucks having seat belts. C line was about 1966 until then.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33301 by bparo
be careful regarding the seatbelts. Cars required them around 1970 but trucks didn't until years later. I can't find the exact date at the moment but the year was 1977 according to a government document I found at www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/p.../Belt_Analysis_4.pdf (section 4.5 on page 21)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by bparo.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33302 by Coupeute
Just quoting from a book.

13 years 8 months ago #33303 by
Seat belts have been on the forum many times.

Refer to post www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1272189542/8#8

That has a link to the vicroads fact sheet which indicates all the dates when seat belts became requirements on each class of vehicle. Not sure what class your truck is. But you should be able to work out when your vehicle needs the belts.

Some manufacturers introduced them earlier. But the whole point is that if they are fitted they must comply with the regs (and used!). But if the truck was built before the dates sepcified in the vicroads doc then it was optional to have them fitted.

Both of my trucks don't need or currently have seat belts. The ACCO was built about a year before in 1976 when they became compulsary in 1977 for its class. However I have decided that I will most likely fit seat belts to it as it will be used the most in the future. And seat belts are much more safer than without!

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #33304 by
The D line was available from about the start of Spring 1972. I've seen numerous 1972 model D line trucks. All manufacturers generally pick the August-October period to release the "new models".
This means they released the "new model year" model, around Aug-Oct 1972, but it's called a 1973 model.

Very confusing, but they've done it since Henry Ford started doing it back in the 1920's.
It was a move designed to boost sales going into the harsh U.S. Winters, when sales dropped right off .. because most Americans were virtually hibernating from the intense cold in that period, and no-one was too keen to tramp around sales yards that were deep in snow.

I have an International sales magazine dated August-Sept 1965, and the AB series was still the current model at that date. I'd hazard a guess the C line appeared in late 1965.

More
13 years 8 months ago #33305 by cobba
Hey coupeute, Quote away mate. I am all ears. The more opinions we have here the better I reckon

bparo, J Madden has been pumping 40 years of seat belts a fair bit lately. Nothing to do with it being election time tho i spose :o
I am in a catch 22 spot here tho. Although it is a truck in our eyes, as it is under 4.5 tonne it comes under light vehicle regulations and has to comly with ADRs of the day.

When I went to register my current C1300 last month the RWC inspector took me to task relating to not having seat belts fitted correctly.

Firstly. As it was a 69 model it didn't need any, but had them.

Secondly. As it had them, did I have an engineers report to support the correct installation of them.

Danmed if you do. Danmed if you don't.

He passed it on a sub note stating that if they were fitted to a pre regulation vehicle then they should remain in the vehicle.

Can anyone give me a link to Victorian Regulations covering this. I can't find one :(

More
13 years 8 months ago #33306 by cobba
jblair and onetrack.

Thanks. you must have posted while I was typing.

That's the problem with only using 1 finger on a keyboard ;D ;D ;D

More
13 years 8 months ago #33307 by Coupeute
Maybe listed as an option is what im guessing. Always something to learn here. My minister for finance bought me the Fred Crismon International 100 years book. Wow, what a 700 page read. Aussie trucks are listed briefly under each year with a photo. The US light trucks of this era dont look as good as our Inters. Its amazing what gets changed on trucks during their working life that changes their specs altogether.

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds