Skip to main content

picked up some new toys

More
15 years 9 months ago #3255 by melonreo
if you look at the front axel on the chassis up on top of the others . looking at the front spider is that a standard type for a 190 on air if only seen them on some loadstars..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3256 by GM Diesel
Pat,

I cant open the pictures on this comput at work but if you go the the GM diesels progress pics in the section of the forum and have a look at my front axle. It came out of a Loadstar. Alot wider track than the 190 front axle. Tyres are flush with outside of 190 guards where as with standard front end wheels sit in 6" from guard edge.
To put a 6V-53 in a 190 there is two ways of doing it.
1 . Scrap the steering as its smack in the middle of the right head.
2 . Leave the steering as stock and move engine back....slight prune to firewall. This is easier I reckon but its just one way. Engine mounts, air cleaner, air intake plumbing etc is all 700 series dodge. Mounts are a bolt in job. Dodge engine mounts are offset ie engine is 2.5" to the left from the factory. You need this offset with the 190 steering box.
If its an Aus 190 this works, if its a US 190 you have to relocate steering box, its further back than the aus one along the chassis.
Rear compressor mount doesnt work so you will have to belt drive one at the front.
Just for interest I will post some pics tonight of these things ive talked about.
Theres one over here witha turbo 3304 Cat in it...thats a real tight fit but it goes well.
If you use a 4-71 you will get real close to steering box also. Have a look at Alby Twyfords...from memory the blower is rubbing on the box.
Scania LB-80 engines or the hiroshima screemer 5 potter go good to.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3257 by GM Diesel
Pat,

Now im home and had another look at your pics the chassis up on top is a US built R200. AUS chassis are same depth from front rear spring hanger all the way to the back. US ones taper aft of the front rear spring hanger. Front spiders in pic were only used on R 200's. R190 spiders are the same as AB 184 etc .
Single drive with full air brakes were not common at all on the R190's but standard kit on the 200's.
Barry

More
15 years 9 months ago #3258 by GM Diesel
Top picture R190 front spiders.
Second picture R200 Front spiders.

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #3259 by melonreo
Barry .
this is my RD200 , she was a original 160 cummins , now a 180 without a head, a couple of fellas have checked her out over the years, they tell me she is still all original except for the engine, this has a different front spider.
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by melonreo.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3260 by melonreo
here are some more parts to go with the chassis on top of the load
PAT..

More
15 years 9 months ago #3261 by GM Diesel
There definatly the same spiders the loadstars used as I have. They had quiet a heavy front axle.
Atkipete, some of the early ACCO's used these spiders didnt they ?
I wonder wether she has had am axle swap or maybe its one of the last and shared some parts with the ACCO range...I could be completely wrong here.
R190 chassis, front axle etc is the same as the AB184.
Brilliand to find a 200 all still in one piece..relativly.
Barry

More
15 years 9 months ago #3262 by Andy Wright
Pat, great to see photobucket working well for you! You must have one of the most interesting collections I've seen in a long time. Trucks seem quite solid as well. Guess there's a brightish side to the drought...

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 9 months ago #3263 by huppypuppy

I'd go with either a 6V or an 8V-53

Baz,

The 8V53 was never sold in Australia! This engine was a domestic market (US only) engine and were built mainly for the US military!

Joe

PS: Going to post a link to a YouTube vid of a mate's 8V53! Have a squiz and tell me what ya think!

More
15 years 9 months ago #3264 by GM Diesel
Joe, At the risk of sounding like a smart ##s they did sell many
8V-53's in Aus particuarly in the marine market. The founder of the company that I work for now fitted many right and left rotation pairs in cray boats built here in the early 70's.There are still more around than most people realise. I know of two industrial 8V's still being used. There were no vehicles marketed here with 8V's however
DD Bassendean here in Perth did do 9 automotive repowers between 68 and 73. 6 of them were coaches and the other three went into trucks. Some trucks had them in the local US market as you say.
US military still run 8V's in some of their tracked gear.
8V's suffered broken cranks in the marine application mostly due to alignment issues with the gear - shaft.
It is relativly easy to change a marine variable speed governer over to limiting speed for use in a truck. Hardest part is finding rear outlet dry exhaust manifolds.
I only know of two 12V-53's in Aus. One is on a standby genset on Barrow Island and the second was last seen in Victoria.
You can still get recon exchange 12V-53's in the US.
There were a right and left rotation marine pair for sale in the US recently.
Another bit of trivial information. 68 -73 K model F100 fords sold in the US were availabe with 3-53 detroits from the factory.
Barry

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds