Skip to main content

Just for the KENWORTH fans*****( others no looky )

15 years 8 months ago #3620 by
Hey Joe, maybe this will make it a bit clearer as to how they hop-er-ate.

Found this pamphlet, it has 12 pages, have you got it, if not, do you want it ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #3621 by huppypuppy

Hey Joe, maybe this will make it a bit clearer as to how they hop-er-ate.

Found this pamphlet, it has 12 pages, have you got it, if not, do you want it ?

Greenie me mate,

Forward it to me! You have my email address - if only for the Winnig Edge section as well!

Joe

PS: You don't happen to be from Dubbo originally do ya? I happen to know a Green, who is my boss out at Fletcher International Exports and was wondering if you might be related???!!!
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by huppypuppy.

15 years 8 months ago #3622 by
Nope, born in Melbourne and grew up there, then moved to Maryborough, Vic, before shifting to gods own country.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #3623 by Swishy
Now U got me goin on the torsion bar suspension
a few COE KW were produced with a spread bogie drive on TB
also @ the Bayswater factory they had a demo truck th@ never hit the rd
twaz a COE 8x4 with TB front n rear
me thinks the cab was a low mount with a step in front of the front wheel
but me thinks twaz altered to an every day garden variety Kenworth COE Kxxx

we found the TB suspension good providing U kept the grease upto m
they had remote grease nipples mounted along chassis B tween the bogie
they were light
n easy to reach under centre of bogie drive to undo 5th wheel kingpin

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 8 months ago #3624 by atkipete
Gday Swishy, I know SFA about the torsion bar suspension and have never driven one. Why did they stop using it ? Someone told me once they were more prone to rollovers ? Regards Pete

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #3625 by Swishy
Atkipete
GuddayM8

As far az I no U can still getm
but for max loading the authorities want U 2 use air bag with shockers
spose to do less damage to rd

we had 3 'S' models with m on
everybody said we would B breaking bars
but in all the time we ran them, me thinks we only ever broke one
and we could load 18t on bobgie drive legally as permitted by permits
where by the interstate guys could only run 16t on bogie drive n they were breaking many bars they even had TB planted @ different towns along the Hume Hwy so they could swap in a new bar.
They rode well loaded, but for our type of work unmade/ruff rds back then they were constantly working @ the links n needed plenty of grease for a good life
the oscillating links can B seen in Greenies RSend pic with the remote greased orange tubes runnin to a central point on each side of chassis

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

15 years 8 months ago #3626 by

Now U got me goin on the torsion bar suspension
a few COE KW were produced with a spread bogie drive on TB

cya

Only a few, ONLY A FEW !

That suspension was the main stay of the KW's back in the 70's to early 80's, it wasn't until the Air Bags became popular in the later part of the 80's, that the crowbars fell into decline.
You could get the KW 6 rod for the heavier haulers as well, still can today if'n you really want it.

Gday Swishy, I know SFA about the torsion bar suspension and have never driven one. Why did they stop using it ? Someone told me once they were more prone to rollovers ? Regards Pete

Nope, don't think it was the crowbars that were to blame for all them carryings on, think the blame squarely lies with the BEANS and BAD MANNERS that were being displayed, possibly the roads had something to do with it as well.

Other truck manufacturers didn't have much of a choice for suspensions back then either, the other main suspension was the Hendrickson single point walking beam, better known by many as that shitty kidney cruncher. That stuff had a kick like a mule when you hit a big hole at speed, put you up around the sun-visor real fast, very hard to steer when your feet are of the floor and your body's tangled up with the roof liner. Oh the joys of drivin' a bit 'o gear with that crap.
Then there was the rubbery blocks that worked similar to the Hendricks, or the 4 spring for the bogies, that was an improvement for the kidneys. Or for the REAL HEAVIES, the true SIX ROD, can't remember the brand names, KRAFT is kickin' in again.
Or for the true masochist, the Mack Camel Back suspension, be it 8 spring leafs or for the truly hard bastards, the 12 spring leafs.
Anybody who liked that crap was put into the "caveman" category, should read NEANDERTHAL, that suspension could have you pissin' blood quicker that if you went on a drinkin' binge at the Red Cross Blood Bank.
Mack did try and introduce other forms of less severe suspensions, but they were not accepted by the office Johnny's, who handed over the money, so the long suffering driver had to go piss a bit more blood.

Glad I aint peddlin' around lookin' up a dogs arse anymore.

Ah, memories, ALL bloody bad, eh.

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds