Skip to main content

Fruehauf Trailer

More
13 years 3 months ago #45318 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Fruehauf Trailer
Sarge- yes that SHOULD be the case..but like I said about idiots-

In my experience they won't tell you ANYTHING these days. God knows why. privacy or some other ridiculous reason I guess.
I had a Scania bogie drive truck a while ago, with NSW plates, but no label- and the BUILD plate said single drive, not bogie drive.
When I went for RWC, they freaked out, and said "no go can't do". Got on to Vicroads, they said as long as it was previously rego'd as bogie drive, it was fine. But do you think RTA NSW would tell me??? I can't remember what ridiculous reason they dreamed up as to why they COULDN'T tell me, but there was no way they would tell me whether that truck had been registered as a bogie or single drive...
Eventually, and only because I know someone at Vicroads, they agreed to FAX RTA NSW, and ask them, then RTA NSW faxed back Vicroads, and said "yes, it has been registered as a bogie drive..."
What do you reckon my customer was thinking about all this....
Unless you fit "the system"... they really don't want to know you.

Can anybody tell that I don't reall like all the rego / licensing systems???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cheers
Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #45319 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fruehauf Trailer
The rego system does have errors, anomalies, and shonky rego's and S/No's recorded. The authorities try their best to keep it accurate.

If you don't register an item for 3 years, it's taken off the registration system, and ceases to exist.
You then have to prove where you got it from, by filling in a dozen forms, and providing documentary evidence, even down to where you saw it advertised.

The rego system is manipulated by crooks and car-rebirthers, and the Police and rego authorities struggle to keep in front of them.
Interstate transportation of stolen stuff is huge, and once it goes into another jurisdiction, it often falls into the "too-hard" basket, unless there's a major crime associated with it.

The best thing you can do is make sure you keep all documentation relating to rego of the item you have, even it has expired 10 yrs ago.
If you buy something, make sure you get (and keep) all the documentation you can gather, relating to purchase of the item .. including any expired rego papers, that the person you're buying from, still has.

I bought a van from a local bloke, and the rego had just expired when I bought it. I sent in the transfer, but they refused to re-rego it.
Between purchasing it and picking it up, the previous owner had returned the plates.
The DOT sent me back a piece of paper, which records that I have purchased it, and which I have to produce when I go to register it again. It's effectively a DOT title, without a rego.

The DOT's and Police try to keep all their rego info secret. It's well known that bikie gangs, car re-birthing gangs, and crooks in general love to get inside info on the rego system, and what is recorded there.
They are well known for corrupting DOT employees to get inside info on the system. Here in West Oz, they caught bikies recording all the police car regos, particularly the unmarked ones.

Vehicle registration is all about proving that you are who you are, and that what you're trying to register is legit, and that you purchased it legally, and it's not re-birthed.
The registration system is a critical basic piece of a tracking system, that Police rely on mightily to solve crimes, find out where people are, and keep tabs on crims.
They need to keep it accurate as possible, so that any criminal investigations aren't hindered by incorrect info.

More
13 years 3 months ago #45320 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Fruehauf Trailer
Onetrack- spot on you are. So wouldn't you reckon all the states would just sit down together and make the same laws, common computers, same rules and systems. Bingo, massive loopholes fixed! You cannot re register a written off vehicle in NSW now- but you can in Victoria! Smart, hey...
Crooks couldn't give a stuff about doing the right thing. And the more layers of bureaucracy, the easier it is for them...

More
13 years 3 months ago #45321 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Fruehauf Trailer

Onetrack- spot on you are. So wouldn't you reckon all the states would just sit down together and make the same laws, common computers, same rules and systems.

You gotta be joking, if the idiots did that, think of ALL the revenue from fines, that the state's would miss out on.

The greater the confusion, the greater the revenue.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

13 years 3 months ago #45322 by
The problems stem from individual state authorities setting up their own interpretations of what is supposed to be National standard laws.
They make up their own little rules, to suit what they see as peculiar local conditions.
Most of these are totally unnecessary, and it would be of great benefit if rules were standardised nation-wide.

However, it ain't gunna happen, because State Govts and local authorities delight in making up these "different" rules, just to show those "foreigners" from another State, that they don't have any say in what the locals decide. Parochialism at its best.

I can't talk too loudly, because W.A. actually voted to secede from the rest of Australia, in the early 1930's, and they got an overwhelmingly majority vote for it.
However, cooler heads prevailed, and W.A. stayed in the Federation.
What a bloody backward step that would have been! If it had gone ahead, coming to W.A. would have been like entering a foreign country, and you would have had massive hassles with entry.
In addition, we would have been burdened with having to fund our own Federal Depts, that are currently organised by the Federal Govt, on a fairly even, Australia-wide basis.

More
13 years 3 months ago #45323 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Fruehauf Trailer
G'day all,
The local copper was due for the inspection today but had to cancel as he was given more important things to do. (single officer country station) The next try is Thursday and I will report back after that.
Enough to say for now that the trailer was smuggled out of Geelong and will probably make an appearance at the White muster in Kyabram in March, hopefully carrying a couple of other White products.
More info and photo to follow soon. Geoff

More
13 years 3 months ago #45324 by Tacho
G'day all,
The ID inspection went OK and I have the required piece of paper for rego. Because it is an inter-state trailer it may need a roadworthy as well.
The trailer spec's are 12m (40') long, beaver tail 2m (6'8") from end, tray height at rear lowest point 1.050m (42"), ramp length 2.950m (9'10") tyres 11R22.5

13 years 3 months ago #45325 by
Tacho - That's a very neat and handy beaver-tail trailer, with a good loading angle. However, those ramps look pretty lightweight, and I'd be a little scared of loading anything over them, that had concentrated weight on the front, such as a FEL or crawler.
If those ramps were mine, I think I'd be installing a truss-type brace on their underside, to add the extra support that it appears they need. There's nothing worse than watching a ramp buckle under load.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 3 months ago #45326 by Tacho
Good point Ron, and one I was considering as well. I wondered if trussing would be best or fitting a hinged leg about half way down which would take some of the weight.
The ramps are 700mm wide,have 3 of 75x75x6mm RHS beams and 3mm chequerplate top with some angle iron cross pieces near the top of each one. There is a slight bow of around 10mm already so at some time the ramps have had too much weight on them.
Someone on this forum should be able to tell me how much weight the existing set-up will handle, and there-fore how much extra strength will be needed. Next question is how much weight do I want to carry, and that is probably tractors up to 5 tonne.
Regards Geoff

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #45327 by
Geoff - I must say I'm surprised those ramps are 75 x 75 x 6mm. They don't look like they are anywhere near that size. I guess the deep perimeter channel on the trailer threw out my perceptions of size.

The hinged leg idea would work, but a truss would be more effective, IMO. A hinged leg needs a wide base to prevent soil penetration when loading on unpaved areas .. and if fixed, it could be damaged if any movement occurs when loading (brakes not holding 100%, or a crawler being loaded). If not fixed, it could tend to fall over, if movement occurs when loading.

A 75mm section of RHS wouldn't need a heavy truss to give it a lot of support .. it would only need a heavy flat bar section, say 75 x 10mm, with say, three support brackets, for the actual truss.

Of course, then again .. you could always carry a couple of 3-tonne axle stands, and pop one each, under the centre of the ramps, when you were loading something a little heavy.
A couple of heavy bars welded across the underside of the ramps, would provide a spot to locate the axle stands.
That way, you would only use them, if the need arose, when the odd heavy machine was going to be loaded.

Cheers - Ron.

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds