Skip to main content

Atkinson with 8 cyl gardner

More
13 years 1 month ago #47553 by prodrive
Seeing Swishy's "out and about" pics of the 8 cyl Gardener prompted me to post these pics- This was a Half cab Atkinson, I saw it probably ten years ago in Melbourne, owned by a bloke called Barry Oliver. He owned a place on the Hume Hwy at Kalkallo, with "Sesame Street" on the gate. Used to buy and sell trucks trailers etc. I'm pretty sure he bought this and did it up tp pick up trailers etc, but never got around to using it.
Then I saw it again in Bridport Tasmania, at the docks, looks pretty neglected and appears to be used only as a yard tug. Sad waste of what would be a very good restorer!
Someone please chase it up and go buy it...
An 8 cyl Gardner in an Atkinson is way too good to sit around and get stuffed up as a yard truck!
Cheers
Richard

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47554 by kenny-mopar
am i rite is the a exhaustt pipe for every cylinder?

More
13 years 1 month ago #47555 by Sarge
yep, I'm hooked, buy buy buy

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
13 years 1 month ago #47556 by werkhorse
I know for a fact that he'll swap it for an LB81 4X2 Scania...............he had one ages ago and somehow it was soldetc and it was far better as a tug than the Atki on and off the ship.....better turning circle on the Scania.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
9 years 3 months ago #47557 by Oilman
I have been trying to track down a 1972 8 cyl Gardner powered Atkinson that my father bought new. I have tracked it through several owners and the last one was Barry Oliver. He doesn't remember what happened to it, but based on the photos it looks like it is this one that ended up in Tassie. I would love to contact the current owner if anyone knows who has it? I have a photo of it when it was brand new (and a bogie drive but not sure how to add it to the post).

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

9 years 3 months ago #47558 by
Replied by on topic Re: Atkinson with 8 cyl gardner

am i rite is the a exhaustt pipe for every cylinder?

...i'm fairly sure they were a two piece "header" arrangement..

...and welcome to the forum oilman .. i reckon you can bet your bottom dollar that truck will be your Old Man's...was it bogie drive new?...or you also had a bogie drive as well ??

More
9 years 3 months ago #47559 by Oilman
Trying to add a photo
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah124/66oilman66/1972Atkinsonatfuelpump3_zpsd4d7684e.jpg?1422947547194&1422947548640

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
9 years 3 months ago #47560 by werkhorse
About the original sliver Atkins ..... Was back in Bridport before Xmas and was told that the engine now resides in a boat and the rest is sitting "Somewhere down the back there mate"

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
9 years 3 months ago #47561 by geoffb

More
9 years 3 months ago #47562 by Mrsmackpaul
I do no of one that once ran interstate single drive half sleeper straight 8 wouldnt have been many around thats for sure if no one else takes it
hang on hang on Paul youve got to much on the go now but there is always tomorrow and it wont rust Im gunna need a bigger shed

Paul

Oilman welcome and your Dad had a pretty sexy looking cow taxi
cape otway road I grew up at Beech Forest and went to Colac tech I dont remember your dads truck I might be the wrong era

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds