Skip to main content

Golden Fleece Tankers

More
13 years 1 week ago #50840 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
Trevor I was just glad to see the word ACCO...
certainly a 2???, I had already jumped all over Pete's book and then gave up...

I didnt know about the round fuel tanks ... one of those irrational changes that probably sent IH broke, as they already had a 200 something gallon square tank in the same spot. (if you wanted one)
Then I thought 210 cummins but that should have the cut outs in the bumper....

only other time I have seen aircleaner snorkles was on a cab on ebay, that was left hand side same as the Linfox but the engine was a perkins... bloke in south aus has got it for me if I ever get organised.

I am guessing that IH would at that time build and paint to suit buyer demands Yes Sir, three bags full Sir.... ;D

Pete, you must be due to trot out another book, we are all ready to read it....

is this the same one as page 31, Sandown 2010 and I see its a drivers side snorkle

you note the clever photography .... matching smoke stacks.... ;D ;D :D

this is the ebay perkins cab... its a short door left side snorkle barely visible...

all right, getting out of control now

this is another Ebay one, left side no idea of engine... :-[

and 'cause its cold n wet outside here is something a bit different AACO Cummins power
front left air cleaner

would not mind the triple deck stock crate ....

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #50841 by Andy Wright
Very cool GF pics, HTT and Rufo. Quite like the scheme on the LAD cab in your first pic, HTT. Gives me ideas. ;)

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
13 years 1 week ago #50842 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
I can almost read 2150 there, in theory it should have the slots in the bumper. My 1972 IH catalogue shows both ACCO 2050 and 2150 with the 210 Cummins, five bar grille round fuel tank and air cleaner on the RHS.
Maybe it was optional. The AACO with a Cummins must be a repowered unit.

13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #50843 by
Replied by on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
The round fuel tanks have been preferred by truck manufacturers in later years in Australia, because the round tanks cope with chassis flex better.
A square tank will twist longitudinally with chassis flex, and eventually develop stress cracking, particularly on rough roads, or trucking involving paddock work.

As far as the air cleaner snorkel goes .. it wasn't uncommon for snorkels to be fitted to external air cleaners on the Butterbox ACCO's.
Neither was it uncommon for air cleaners to be moved, raised, re-routed, swapped from side to side .. and generally altered in many ways, back in the 60's.
This was all to do with the style of bodies fitted, and they were altered where standard air cleaners got in the way of the body or attachments being fitted.
Air cleaner location was also dependent on the type of motor fitted.

In addition, the standard location of the aircleaner at the back of the cab, did nothing to assist in the air cleaner actually getting reasonably clean air.
Thus, the snorkels were a valuable addition in dusty environments, where dust swirled around the back of the cab, particularly at low speeds.

More
13 years 1 week ago #50844 by cemeNTepede
This one in the Newcastle area,1978.GM powered !

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 1 week ago #50845 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
All great pictures, in the mid 80's I worked for Mack Trucks briefly. The fuel companies used to put thier trucks in for refurbs and they were stripped back to the chassis, brakes done, diffs and gearbox reraced, motor rebuilt, and repainted, all 285 coolpowers, 5 speed, 34,000lb diffs and wedge (no) brakes. The Cattle trucks from the north used to do similar in the off season. All things of the past now, just buy new trucks instead. Mack had a great workshop, they had sections for various things, diffs and gearbox's, motors, a pump room, would have been a great place to do an apprenticeship.

More
13 years 5 days ago #50846 by 352rhd
Replied by 352rhd on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
great pics,golden fleece had a subby with a peterbilt on oil delivery(williams tpt ,euston vic) in the mid 60's.but shell and esso both had a peterbilt each on fuel,both based at adelaide,both on the broken hill run.

More
13 years 4 days ago #50847 by Hank the Truck
I remember the Esso Peterbilt, it was a massive truck to a small boy.

Shell were known for their Kenworths back then as well.

More
13 years 3 days ago #50848 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
Howdy,

Slightly off topic....the round tanks on the later 2150 ACCO's were the same as Aus Transtar tanks for the same era. Had stepped rings pressed in the ends and saddle brackets not J brackets like the normal.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
10 years 3 months ago #50849 by 3800
Replied by 3800 on topic Re: Golden Fleece Tankers
Just re-found this site after some time away. Forgot how good it is. These pic bring back memories of my time in Aus. in the 70s. Had a Golden Fleece petrol station opposite where my father worked.
Does anyone had pictures of Ampol tankers. I remember as a kid the Jolly Swagman goodies bag available from the petrol stations. Had one just down the road from school in Spreyton in Tas. Now a Caltex station

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds