Skip to main content

Shift n the 2 speed diff

More
12 years 8 months ago #61215 by sparks
Replied by sparks on topic Re: Shift n the 2 speed diff
sorry,i might not have added enough words to my last entry.
i always use the clutch when i change the diff speed.
it even has a notice in the cab with diff instructions.
i always do it in accordance with this notice.
but even though i do it the correct way,i will have trouble changing on a tight uphill bend.
when i said gearlock,what i meant was a light gearlock that would be caused by viscous drag that is produced by a big difference in the speed of the two hemispheres of the diff.
that's the theory anyway.anybody know about this ,cause i'd like to know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 8 months ago #61216 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Shift n the 2 speed diff

Sparks
Gudday M8

Twould imagine u're Dilemma
May B when U go n round cnr the diff n drive line is wound up under torque cos of the star/planetary gears R do there bit n make n for a tight twist n not releasin the torque so the 2 speed diff can do itz thing
Dunno ifn U b travelling fast enuff to preselect lo n move lever thru neutral n back in real qik
to try n release any windup in the driveline

But
WaddaEyeKno !
Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #61217 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Shift n the 2 speed diff
The instructions for my AR162 say the following about changing the electric 2 speed.

keep the power on, hit the switch, once the amps are back to normal on the gauge, lift off the accelerator on the up change or hold the foot flat and dip the clutch on the down.

The reason (as explained to me) is the electric motor winds tension, in the appropriate direction, on a spring. The diff is held in its current ratio due to the power being applied. When the power comes off the spring drags the diff across quickly reducing the chance of being stuck with none. The reason for holding the loud pedal down during the downchange is to try and match the engine speed more closely to the diff speed.

The only time I have had problems is changing up in the diff on a steep hill. In that case the manual recommends not changing the diff until the ground levels out anyway.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by bparo.

More
12 years 8 months ago #61218 by sparks
Replied by sparks on topic Re: Shift n the 2 speed diff
thanx boys
them ideas sound like them got merrit.
try em out next time i go to town.

More
12 years 8 months ago #61219 by paul404
I've always just hit the clutch to change them up shifting . I never worry about splitting down.....just go back full gears then split as you go back up. It's like a 18speed roadranger.. just cause they are there doesn't mean you have to use them.

More
12 years 8 months ago #61220 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Shift n the 2 speed diff
I don't bother splitting the lower gears but will use it between 3rd and 4th (top) as the gap feels a bit big when going uphill and needing to change back

I usually start in low 2nd ( as specified in the owners manual) then low 3rd, low 4th, High 4th. If facing downhill just leave it in high and take off in 2nd. 1st (and low 1st) get used for tight manouvering or hill starts (low 1st is useful for getting through the carport into the back yard - less than an inch's clearance on the mirrors)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 8 months ago #61221 by Alpal
Replied by Alpal on topic Re: Shift n the 2 speed diff
My first truck was an 8 tonne D series Ford, back in the late 70s early 80s. replaced the worn out 300 petrol with a 351 V8, twin stacks with GT Falcon mufflers. 8-)
Worked out of Woolworths Bayswater where they had a full length canopy along the loading bay.
Just to stir things up I would pull out with a full load and go up through the 5 speed box and also the 2 speed diff using Low/Hi through all, sure turned some heads when she started screeming. ;D ;D 8-) 8-)

More
12 years 8 months ago #61222 by oldfulla
All

While I agree how one uses a 2 speed diff is a

More
12 years 8 months ago #61223 by c1100 ute man
I'm with Greenie. Thats what a clutch is for on real heavy pulling. An accellerator blip is too rough. Its been years for me now with a No. 4-1/2 Eaton (ha!). I wouldn't be too worried about tiny chatter as split is made. Someone standing on the side will hear it even when diff is in good condition.

More
12 years 8 months ago #61224 by 82cabover
We were standing on bendooley sat mornin heard plenty of that 2 spd change been years since i heard one but the noise is still how i remember it....

livin the dream oldskool is cool

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds