Skip to main content

Austin 3 38 N .. any one got some history ?

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81474 by Callum94
i have looked all over the internet and found sweet f**k all on the history of my truck :( if there is a austin fanatic anywhere who could help me that would be great :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81475 by sailorV
From HCVC onetrack 14-12-2011

The 3.38 model number stands for 3 ton capacity and 138" wheelbase.
This is the "redesigned" BMC truck released in 1965 in 2, 3, 4, & 5 ton capacities, with 3 wheelbases.
The "new, improved" design featured a one piece windscreen, larger rear corner windows, dual headlights, redesigned (shortened) doors that incorporate a step, and a new central instrument panel with padded dash.

The 2 & 3 tonners only had one engine option, the 4 litre petrol engine, rated at 90 BHP at 3000 RPM, and producing 203 ft-lbs of torque at 1000 RPM.
There was a 5.1L BMC diesel option available in the bigger 4 & 5 tonners.
The petrol engine ran a leisurely 6.4:1 compression ratio, the truck is on 8 stud 7.50 x 20 tyres, and the rear axle ratio for the petrol engine is 7.2:1.

These trucks were quite good, under-rated lorries, and they did not sell in the numbers they should have. These trucks were the product of a BMC Corporation that was still functioning properly .. before the British idiocy of the late 1960's and 1970's that saw massive U.K. Govt political interference, gross mismanagement, destructive bloody-minded unions, and the industrial destruction created by the lengthy coal miners strike of 1974 .. that finally sent British vehicle manufacturing industry into unrecoverable decay .. where massive losses eventually destroyed most of what had been built up over the preceding 70 or 80 years.

Hope this helps,Pete

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81476 by forgemaster
Hi,
Have you got the chassis number and I will look it up in The truck sales manual for that year.
Regards Vic.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81477 by nutterphillips
Yer I got one, an Ex CFA 1972 Leyland version, what do you want to know?

Ex CFA 338n WF Leyland

More
12 years 1 week ago #81478 by Callum94
hey guys finally got around to posting a pic of my truck !!! imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/img0014jxq.jpg/

More
12 years 1 week ago #81479 by ray
G'day Callum94, that's a nice looking Austin. Just so you know, keep an eye on the join where the front wheel arch meets the floor as that is pretty much the first place they get rust.

More
12 years 1 week ago #81480 by bigcam
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg840/scaled.php?server=840&filename=img0014jxq.jpg&res=landing

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds