Skip to main content

Perkins 6354 dot 4 turbo advice

More
11 years 11 months ago #85215 by invested energy
Howdy blokes,

I have a 6354 in my AB130 that is getting a bit tired. I have geared it up with a .85 joey box and T34 O/D gearbox but sadly it wont quite pull the freeway out of Adelaide in top gear with 4.3 final drive. She lopes along at about 80kmh & 1500rpm with the overdrives though:)

Anyhoo I have found a turbo engine from some sort of acco. It's complete sitting on a pallet and was taken from a running truck so all is good I believe.

What I'd like to know is how much of the junk on the outside I need to take with it into my truck. I'd like to simplify the beast a bit because there is a lot of plumbing! So far I can see the starter is on the wrong side and the twin fuel filters need to be relocated. I think my alternator and aircon compressor will swap easily.

Twin oil filters are a nice touch but without sounding like a tool, I'd like to know is the water to oil cooler essential? Would I get away with a oil to air cooler? My truck weighs about 4t in normal service, with at worst a 2t trailer sometimes so I wonder if oil temp is going to be much of an issue, or if the radiator capacity available in a little AB will be overtaxed. Perhaps just and oil temp gauge will suffice.

The sump on my engine drains to the front and has an allowance for the diff in a 4wd application, however the turbo engine drains to the rear so I may need to swap that..?

The turbo engine also has an air compressor that I don't really need, unless I decide to put air horns on:D Mounted to the back of the compressor is a hydraulic pump which would be very handy for power steering. Is there a stand alone power steering pump that fits a Perkins?

Oh and what do you think a good turbo engine is worth?:)

Cheers

Anthony

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #85216 by kenny-mopar
i had a dot4 in a larger acco ...it flew //i guess id leave as much on the engine as possible also u will prob need a bigger radiator..ive no idea how much they are worth but a good running one anything under 2.5g would be cheap

More
11 years 11 months ago #85217 by invested energy
Thanks Kenny,

I'm glad you reckon it's a goer... I could use some more poke!

I seem to have a decent radiator in the truck, it's certainly bigger than the one that came with the 240 petrol engine. In fact I had to fit the hottest thermostat I could find in order to make it run anything like a proper temperature.

I have an even bigger (thicker) radiator that I believe is from a V8 dodge or inter but it would need the fittings or tanks changed to make it Perkins compatible.

Another thought crossed my mind... any idea what size exhaust I would want? Is it possible to put a jap style valve arrangement as an exhaust brake?

Cheers

Anthony

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
11 years 11 months ago #85218 by kenny-mopar
as for exhaust id use a single straight thru muffler.. around a 3" pipe would be ideal ...2.5" ite be a bit small
as for a exh brake go to a wreckers and get a setup from a isuzu jcr 500 ... the motor in them is a similer size to a perkins ..also do do it properly there are exh brake switches under the acc & brake pedals & of course the combination switch (but for the combination switch it would be much easier to run a toggle switch? on the dash etc
while your at it make sure the .4 turbo motor has a decent clutch they put out around 50% more torque than the non turbo slug as for Radiator make sure its a big one ! decent power puts out decent heat

More
11 years 10 months ago #85219 by dozer
hi guys, i have an Acco 1830B tipper with the standard 6354.4 in it and it is gutless with about 8t on the back, is the .4 turbo that much better? I am thinking of repowering because I just can't stand crawling up the hills

More
11 years 10 months ago #85220 by kenny-mopar
yes the .4 turbo will go a lot better up hills probably 50% more torque ... & you will be home in time for dinner too !

More
11 years 10 months ago #85221 by dozer
Hi kenny-mopar

thanks for the reply, will the .turbo motor bolt straight up to the bellhousing? and will the mounts be the same?

Its got a 5 speed splitter in it at the moment so if i give it a new heavy duty clutch and pressure plate do you think it will handle the extra torque

regards

Dozer

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds