Skip to main content

LTL Kentucky's

More
11 years 10 months ago #87578 by Young Fella
LTL Kentucky's was created by Young Fella
G'day everyone. I know this topic has been touched on in Chocs 'Where's ya Louies' post a while back. But I reckon it is a specific topic so I didn't want to mix it up in the vast range of Ford trucks Chocs topic has already covered. So here it goes.
We all know (well most of us) that Ford released a limited edition LTL, called the Kentucky, back in 1991. (I'll stand corrected if the year is wrong.) It was said that 50 were built. Does anyone know if the build target of 50 was reached? And if so, how many were painted in the advertised maroon paint work? I know a lot were either painted in other colours to order, or have since been repainted. Does anyone have build records or chassis number info, like Jimbo, Detective and Swish do for Kenworths? Were the 50 built consecutively with consecutive chassis numbers, or were they built as the orders arrived? And of course, how many survive today? I have spotted a couple around Melbourne lately, and a white one for sale on TruckSales. I'd be glad to get any info if it's out there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #87579 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
I spoke to a fellow some years ago, who claimed his Kentucky was sold new to Aussie Post in their colours. Could it be that the Kentuckies did not have the anticipated demand and were discounted to fleets to move them off the floor? Or was the exAP not a Kentucky?

More
11 years 10 months ago #87580 by fargo1
Replied by fargo1 on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
I seen one in our local fertilizer yard just few weeks ago, still in the original paint and reasonable condition. The owner does a bit of work for one of the local farmers here. Pretty sure it lives at Binya NSW which is East of Griffith. I see it every now and then so will try to get more info on it.
Stephen

More
11 years 10 months ago #87581 by Young Fella
Replied by Young Fella on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
Good on ya Stephen, all info appreciated. I know it might be asking a bit much, but if possible could you get a VIN number from it. Thanks in advance mate, Darin.

More
11 years 10 months ago #87582 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
A local carrier here had a Kentucky quite a few years ago, unfortunately he rear ended a broken down grain truck that was parked on the side of a country road, early one morning and it was written off.

RnR.

More
11 years 10 months ago #87583 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
Great idea, Young Fella. I've a bit of a soft spot for the old louisville myself..

To the best of my (limited) Knowledge.

All 50 were built as Run/batch in 1991.
there was a bit of variation regarding engines, but apart from that.
All were basicaly indentical.

Fords timing with these trucks was 'shouse.
1991 was in the midst of paul keatings "this is the recession we HAD to have"
interest rates were 21-25%. (I have kept an esanda HP contract from '90, the rate is 21% :'()

The owner drivers that were Fords target market, simply couldn't get Finance.
Subsequently, the only people getting Finance were Fleets, so most of them got painted out of the maroon into fleet colours from new.
hence the reason fro there being very few of the 50, in unmolested original condition......

I've tried a couple of times to see if a list of kentuckey's existed, but to no avail. :( :(

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #87584 by Speedy
Replied by Speedy on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
A scrap mob that had a 10 week stint up our way had one early this year but sold it. It was White/Gold Lining like that one on trucksales and showing its age, but then again still a working truck. I think the plaque on the dash said it was #14 and who it was sold to originally but I can't remember who (Fertiliser comes to memory for some reason). Twas just another truck passing through the workshop...

Whilst poking around the noisy end (Caterpillar) trying to figure out why the engine brakes were playing up (Gotta love dodgey auto elecs...) Noticed patches under the bonnet were painted in that Maroon colour.

Really should take more notice and notes of these ol bangers that come in from time to time.
Stephen
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Speedy.

More
11 years 7 months ago #87585 by Young Fella
Okay, so everyone reckons 50 LTL Kentucky's were built. I thought so too until I found this press release article in the October 1990 issue of Truckin' Life. According to this Ford were only going to build 25 of them. Can anyone clarify how many Ford actually built?

Found this one the other day. Ex-Elliotts. The current Phil said he was the third owner, was 350 now 425, was 15 speed now 18 speed. He had the build sheet too, got some good off of it.

Anyone else got info on 'em?

More
11 years 7 months ago #87586 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Re: LTL Kentucky's
Young Fella, A mate of mine is after specific model of the LTL's. He say's they had Series 60,18 spd, on air suspension with air under the cab as well all factory fitted. They were reportedley the "Last 4 Built". As I 'm not up to date with my Louies, do you or anyone else know if they are "Kentucky's" or the last of the model, Im told 1991 build. JR

More
11 years 7 months ago #87587 by Young Fella
G'day JR. I can't say I have ever heard of an LTL Kentucky with a Series 60. Also, a Series 60 in an LTL is pretty rare anyway.I have only ever seen 'Kentucky's' with a Cat or Cummins in them. And I am not aware of the 'Kentucky's' having air-ride cabs. So I would suggest that the ones you are after may just be one of the last built.
I'm no expert on Louies. That's one of the reasons I started this topic, so I could find out more about them.

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds