Skip to main content

CUMMINS 290 Engine number

More
11 years 9 months ago #88249 by HEOFTHEHUM
Righto,
back in the early 80s,a mate of ours had a 335.
He went to the states on holidays.
When he returned hed brought a button,put a heatexchanger off a 350 on it as well,said it was a 375,we thought the pills had got him.
It was every bit as good as a 400 and he reckoned his fuel economy had improved.Back then there was no internet,so all you could do was ask around,all the CUMMINS blokes said you were mad,no such thing.
Google it now SMALL CAM 380,ill bet that was the button he brought.
I want to build my 290 up to it,thats the plan.
Yes its 30years ago,it was that good,that part i do remember. ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #88250 by hayseed

cheers big cam,,, :) hey do ya know anything about putting gas on the 400 cummins,what the good and bad sides would be,, :-/ :-/

Slim, You mean this sort of setup??
dieselgas.com.au/

Pretty popular 4-5 Yrs ago.(last time fuel got REAL dear) But nevey really took off.
Pay back period way toooo loooong.. & also a good excuse to void the warranty..

If you find a S/H truck with one. would be Okay.But not worth the Money for a new setup...
Just My 2cents worth.........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by hayseed.

More
11 years 9 months ago #88251 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: CUMMINS 290 Engine number

Righto,
back in the early 80s,a mate of ours had a 335.
He went to the states on holidays.
When he returned hed brought a button,put a heatexchanger off a 350 on it as well,said it was a 375,we thought the pills had got him.
It was every bit as good as a 400 and he reckoned his fuel economy had improved.Back then there was no internet,so all you could do was ask around,all the CUMMINS blokes said you were mad,no such thing.
Google it now SMALL CAM 380,ill bet that was the button he brought.
I want to build my 290 up to it,thats the plan.
Yes its 30years ago,it was that good,that part i do remember. ;D

Hate to be a spoilsport but all a smaller button does is increase the fuel pressure,which of course will make it go harder.
I doubt all your mate did was add an after cooler as well......he would have upped the injector flow to take advantage of the extra fuel,and maybe change the turbo to pump more air in to take advantage of the more fuel.

But anyways.....there has always been a CPL for small cams to be rated at 420HP....272 if my memory serves me correctly.......and in the 80's we built small cam 450 Magnums that used some Big Cam jewelry

If you want to know how to do it,give me a hoy,

Newto

More
11 years 9 months ago #88252 by HEOFTHEHUM
Id say he would have done the turbo and injectors,i really cant remember all the detail,but he was very happy.

More
11 years 9 months ago #88253 by John Whale
evening all mate down the road been driving for nigh on 45 years swears black and blue that of all the trucks he has driven his t line with a 290 in it was the best good economy torquey (14litres aren"t they)mentioned something about a "400" harmonic balancer that helped by the way what is CPL? regards whale

More
11 years 9 months ago #88254 by newto

by the way what is CPL? regards whale

Hey John,
CPL is short for "Critical Parts List" which Cummins uses as a list of all the "performance" parts needed to make a particular engine model.
Each CPL has a number, eg late model N14-525hp Australian spec electronic engine is 2025.

When you look up 2025 in the "CPL Book" it will tell you what pistons,injectors,fuel pump,turbo,injection timing etc etc tu use to build an Aussie spec 525 that complies with that years ADR rules.

newto

More
11 years 9 months ago #88255 by John Whale
hello newto does that go for the 903 as well ? whale

More
11 years 9 months ago #88256 by newto

hello newto does that go for the 903 as well ? whale

Yes Sir........

All Cummins models are built to a "CPL"

Newto

More
11 years 9 months ago #88257 by John Whale
and matey i find that where on the 903?

More
11 years 9 months ago #88258 by newto
If its still got the alloy data tag then it's on that......otherwise the engine number will tell us what it was built to......and the fuel pump tag will give it away as well.

903's are easy,not many differences bar the cam and rocker ratio's......likewise VT's....cams and timing.....and surprise,surprise"........turbo'd or not.....they all use the same piston!!!!

Newto

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds