Skip to main content

Not a truck

More
15 years 2 months ago #7421 by Sarge
Not a truck was created by Sarge
Mathamaticians and engineers... I have a problem (one that a little cream or couple of pills cant fix)
You may have noticed a picture of my ACCO loaded with hay on Andys blogg site... the hay elevator is the problem, I use an Austin A50 diff driving a right angle gearbox and then chain drive to run the elevator chain.... it runs a bit quick but it also needs a fair bit of weight on the elevator to stop the wheels skidding.

So... if I was to put 16 inch instead of 14 inch wheels would it run easier/faster/slower.

if I was to use a diff out of a later Datsun which I think may well have a high top speed, would it run
easier/faster/slower.

I am very limited with the changes I can make to the chain/cog sizes so the diff or 16 inch wheels or both is the next option 'cause i've got them.

Please feel free to express your opinion ::)

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #7422 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Not a truck
Blog address below. Scroll down and look for "Mobile haystack".

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #7423 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Not a truck
Larger wheel's will slow it down

Faster diff will speed it up

oh and as far as the wheel's slipping gawd i can't remember one that didn't slip with out a full load of bales on it. but heck it's gotta be a whole lot better than humping them up the side.....anyone here every get to be a bale tossing expert ???

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by werkhorse.

15 years 2 months ago #7424 by
Replied by on topic Re: Not a truck
Nope, no expert at that lot, just a sh!t of a job.
I can still remember the thorns/prickles in my hands at the end of the day, gloves or NO gloves, still the same mongrel thorns/prickles.
Pitching stooks to make a stack, that was NO picnic either, at the end of the day, that fork weighed a ton.
NO matter which way you look at hay, it's bloody hard work.

I just get goose bumps thinking about it.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 2 months ago #7425 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Not a truck
Gday Sarge,
had almost forgotten about those bale loaders but I remember them slipping if there were too many bales on board. You might try letting the tyres down a bit and going over it with the grease gun.

More
15 years 2 months ago #7426 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Not a truck
Hi Pete,

Im with Werkhorse with his comments about the speeds.
See if you can get yourself a pair pf 15" wheels and tyres from a New Holland bale loader. They have a tractor type tread pattern that is quiet aggressive and when setup for rolling not driving ie around the other way they make quiet a differance to the drive slipping. Filling em up with water also helps. Massey Ferguson front wheel weights attached to wheels also helps.
We used to bale close to two thousand acres a year for hay so we were on the hunt for any bit of kit you could get to make it easier. We used a 12 bale sledge type pickup on the front of a michigan loader for years then came along the best machine ever built, the self loading self propelled bale wagon built by New Holland. 3-53T screamer power and allison auto, air con cab. Best thing since canned Bundy....160 bales from paddock to stack without getting out of the cab. Couple of these things going you could shift two thousand an hour. :)

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds