11 years 4 months ago #101748 by dieselman
Libya truck photos was created by dieselman
hi gents. here are some photos from libya and around the traps. please enjoy
www.flickr.com/photos/77292940@N04/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101749 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: Libya truck photos
Enjoyed your photos Dieselman. Do you know what make that old bonnetted truck out in the desert is? It must be European I guess, maybe Italian-Fiat, or German-MAN, Bussing, or French maybe-Berliet, Renault etc. The old cabover 4x4 is a W.W.II AEC type O853 Matador. The AEC Marshall in Queensland with Hastings Deering cab is a neat old truck. Thanks again.-Hamish Petrie
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101750 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Libya truck photos
Thanks Mate, very intertesting.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101751 by
Replied by on topic Re: Libya truck photos
...well...well....look what pops up in your porridge after 50 YEARS :o :o :o :o....

...two RHD Kenworth 552 rig trucks (ch/no's 77911, 77912) arrived in Australia in late 1962 for Hunt Oil.....and have remained missing ever since....until now 8-) 8-) 8-)...

dieselman....mate, you're a legend for bringing to light the pair of these elusive jiggers (photo's 12, 17 and 18) 8-) 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #101752 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Libya truck photos

Tective ....Jist 4 U

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago #101753 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Libya truck photos
The Marshall chassis No; 4GM6RAT=
4= series 1963-1965; G= goods; m= medium weight; 6=6 wheeler; R=right hand drive; A=fully articulated bogie; T (as suffix)=double drive
There should be some digits for the actual chassis No a bit further along.
This Marshall is basically a six wheel version of the Monarch mk lV. wet liner 470 or dry liner 471 motor. The tilt cabbed versions with the dry liner 505 engine arrived in 1966.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101754 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Libya truck photos
Looks like the truck in the first pic in Swishy's post has still got Neil Mansell mudflaps on it.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101755 by dieselman
Replied by dieselman on topic Re: Libya truck photos
well gents, i am glad that the people of HCVC are enjoying the photos, we are all passionite about our history and motor vehicles.being a mad truck mechanic does not help!! i do not know the brand of truck in the desert but i did talk to the owners son who could talk good english.he was not sure of the name but said it was first registered when Libya was ruled by a king,44 years or more ago. a gentleman to talk to.but will be back in the sandpit 30 december so will see what photos i can take this hitch.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101756 by
Replied by on topic Re: Libya truck photos
...thank you dieselman .. we are all an enthusiastic and passionate bunch on the HCVC forum.....cheers :) :) :)

PS...regarding the King of Libya....apparently King Idris of Libya was ousted from government in 1969 in a bloodless coup....this would help to know, as these trucks were still in Australia (IDSTBC) in 1968....

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101757 by oldbob70
Replied by oldbob70 on topic Re: Libya truck photos
G`Day
While I can`t say what individual truck it was there were almost Identical Kenworth rig trucks in Libya as early as 1962 --- I have a photo of one in Tobruk church square--- below our Flat balcony---I will try and dig it out --also when I got to WA in 1965 Bells workshop in Guildford WA was overhauling a couple-- I think they had been at at rough Range ---out of Exmouth but--idstbc on that
Oldbob 70
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by oldbob70.

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds