Skip to main content

36ft Fruehauf Slider

More
11 years 1 month ago #112516 by Debo
36ft Fruehauf Slider was created by Debo
Well after spending a lot of time negotiating/pestering ::) i have finally purchased a 36ft Fruehauf adjustable spread tandem trailer that has air/mechanical suspension.

I have never seen this set up before and would be very interested to hear/see any info that anyone has on this type of suspension/trailer.

I can't resist a photo of it on the way home, took all day but was very enjoyable 8-).

Looking forward to any info thanks, Debo ;).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #112517 by knighty
Replied by knighty on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
never seen nuffi'n like it DEBO but it's a beauty, is there much rust in the coamings?, gonna look tops behind the b model.... jk ;) ;)

Lotsa Big Toys

More
11 years 1 month ago #112518 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Well done Debo, an excellent find. I like the old Fruehauf's and the adjustable spread is a nice bit of history. Never seen that airbag combination either though.

Dennis

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #112519 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Debo
Gudday M8

Noice Find

yep reconize the Fruehauf side comb n
Propar axles with the plastic pineapple cap

it may have bin fully imported
az it haz the crank handle on (our) passenger side

our ol Fruehauf X10dable with sliding spring suspension is a 37'=57' of early 70'z me thinks

guessin to slide u're axle

U'd lok trailer brakes on, back into it to releive weight on pins
remove slider pins n turn tap off @ rear axle, releas trailer brakes (Fronr axle should B stihl on) n reverse to desired position etc

But me jist guess n

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Swishy.

More
11 years 1 month ago #112520 by Debo
Replied by Debo on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Thanks all, i thought it was a bit rare and cause i wanted a spread for the B model i just had to have it.

Knighty the combings are rust free :) but there is a couple tears/dints from carefree fork drivers >:(, interestingly there is a few rust holes in the chassis at the front in the vertical section of the I beam.

Swishy, very observant, the legs are not the originals and had been fitted without the shaft to join the left and right by the seller to keep the front off the ground which is why the only handle is on the left, only 1 works and the other is bent but there is another set of legs that came with it but 1 of them is bent also hoping to make a pair from the 4 ;).

Still very anxious to find any sales info etc on this suspension if anyone has any thing.

I notice in the Colrain truck/trailer parts book they list an airbag to suit early Fruehauf. Debo.

• Swishy
More
11 years 1 month ago #112521 by Swishy

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #112522 by Debo
Swishy you're right it is too modern ;)
I got around to putting some air into the trailer today to see what would happen and after a cloud of dust eminated from the skid plate and i joined the hoses back together there were no leaks (not bad ones anyway) but alas the air bags didn't inflate :-[.
After a quick look at the hoses and heght control valves I discovered that the tank for the air bags had been disconected so after conecting loose hose to blocked port on main air tank gradually the trailer started to rise :).
This made me rather happy till i discovered that the bags on the back axle were not inflating :( once again a quick lesson on the air system and we discovered that the rear bags (which looked rather sad) had been blocked off >:(.
Anyway its all progress i reckon.

Here is a pic from the front looking toward the back, you can see the rear bags if you look close.
It is slightly over correct height but both height control valves are on the rear axle and due to those bags not inflating, the rear axle is not sitting correctly neither is the link to the control valves. If you look real close you can see Fruehauf cast into the panhard rod beside the right bag.

Right now I'd like to see if anyone has another Fruehauf trailer that has a seriel number that is near this one to try and work out the date of manufacture as this is not on the ID plate the serial No is 25488 and i have seen a 1985 model serial No 32762. Thanks in advance Debo.

More
10 years 9 months ago #112523 by Debo
Had some spare time on the weekend so I managed to slide the rear axle all the way to the front.

Pulled both the air bags out from the rear axle as they are both stuffed hoping to find some numbers on the top plate (where it should be) but can only find the number for the rubber bag which doesn't identify the assembly so I will need to remove 1 of the front bags as the bottom alloy piece should have a number to help ID the whole assembly.
Also discovered that all 4 trailer legs are bent so will need a new set but have got them working ok for the time being and attached them properly but not as shown in this pic.

The axle spread distance at the moment is about 9ft 6 inches.
After looking I discovered that the rear axle is not all the way to the back and it is welded in this position but it could go back about 6 or 7 inches more which would make the spread about 10'1". Debo :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #112524 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Also looks like you have an odd spider there as well, front left??

• Swishy
More
10 years 9 months ago #112525 by Swishy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationDebo
Gudday M8

RE: Bent landin legs
Normally they get bent when things dun line up right n they get slammed into to lok the 5th ammendment
LOL
Ifn U aint got nutn to loose try load n up the L/Legs n drive 4ward 2 C ifn they will straighten th@ way

AirBagz 4 U

www.stengelbros.net/Air-Springs--Goodyear_c_307.html

www.airbagsaustralia.com.au/

if U game sum Chinkanese airbags
au.alibaba.com/trading-search/products/g...r-air-bag.html?qrw=1

cya

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds