Skip to main content

36ft Fruehauf Slider

More
10 years 9 months ago #112526 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Bent legs, chain from chassis to leg then turn prime mover while someone watches to tell you when it is straight. Do the opposite to the other side if needed. Check cross bar between legs isn't binding on chassis when you wind them up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #112527 by Debo
Replied by Debo on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
JBran
You are correct Re the odd hub ;) but it is the rear left that is the odd one not the front. The presumably original hubs have malco on them and look a lot like the Kenworth drive hubs. I have seen these hubs on other Fruehauf's but will be needing one for myself at some stage if anyone has one or two?
Re the legs I reckon I'll shout the trailer a new set of legs once the rest is all done but will try the above in the mean time thanks ;)

More
10 years 9 months ago #112528 by Bruce99
Replied by Bruce99 on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Doing it as original? 36' planks? I'd reckon chequer plate!!

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
8 years 11 months ago #112529 by 1958 B633SX Mack
Debo, Mine is 33061 and it is definitely plated 1985

More
8 years 11 months ago #112530 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Perhaps the rear suspension was hard fixed to make life easier with the various air supplies?
I presume air comes along the chassis beams and then off to the axles and suspensions.
There must be a considerable amount of spare hose to come and go as the axle slides from position to position.
Not quite as simple as a fixed axle centres extendable.

More
8 years 11 months ago #112531 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Hi Debo
We have several Fruehauf Axles complete that I am pretty sure would match your hubs. Just come and take one away.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 11 months ago #112532 by Debo
1958 B633SX Mack, Thanks for that info re the serial number ;), I have found a #26931 built 1973, mine is 25488 so before then.

Jeffo, I suspect the rear axle was welded because the lock pins had broken/worn (they are missing) or they no longer adjusted it and to stop it wobbling around. It actually has the air lines attached to rings that slide on a piece of rod that runs the length of the adjustable section (see pic) very well done 8-).

Rex, thanks very much for the offer ;), I actually need a 6 spoke hub, well so far without having pulled it all apart but when I do if I'm looking for bits I'll be in touch.

More
8 years 10 months ago #112533 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Hi Debo What a great find.
I worked on 2 trailers in the late 70's that were several years old then. Both similar to yours with Fruehauf air bag suspension and what I believe was termed a 3 way spread axle configuration. From your pictures, note how the radius rod goes up from the spring hanger to the top of the axle. One trailer was set up like this and the newer trailer, the radius rod went to the bottom of the axle.
The trailer set up the same as yours, for some reason every time you pulled up at traffic lights or stopped the air bags would pressurize and jack the trailer up further than if it was sitting on level ground.
As for the age of your trailer, check the trailer width. Fruehauf (and probably all trailer manufactures ) changed from 8 foot, to 8 foot 2 and a half inches in the late 60's early 70's. Also you have spherical camshaft bushes which I assume means late 60's. The Selecta Point rails appear to have round holes. Latter Fruehauf rails had 2 flats on the holes.
From experience if any of the brake shoes are damaged and need replacing, make sure you get Fruehauf (Pro Par axle) brake shoes. Other shoes look exactly the same , but the linings don't sit correctly on the drum.
The 2 trailers I mentioned had the sliding sub-frames welded together by Fruehauf Sydney in the early 80's.

More
8 years 10 months ago #112534 by Debo
Thanks for that info Xspanrman ;)
It's great to find out any info about these trailers.
Thanks again Debo ;)

More
8 years 9 months ago #112535 by Ronny G
Replied by Ronny G on topic Re: 36ft Fruehauf Slider
Hi Debo,I spoke to you a couple of years ago about these trailers but could not find the thread.We have one which is used only on the farm with our Seed and Super Unit permanatly mounted to it.I did not realise that they were originally adjustable spread.Ours is all welded up and is only 28 foot long.Looking at it again yesterday it looks as if it may have been 34 or 36 feet and has been shortened from the back.The slider pin holes seem to suggest that.It also has the landing wheels handle on the left side which I always thought was odd.It seems to have an old plate on the left side but I cant read anything but will have another look when I go back next week.I will see if I can get some photos up again.
Cheers,Ron
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds