Skip to main content

WheremEye

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195335 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic WheremEye

Swanny wrote: The Putty Rd

Nah ... Looks more like the Midland Highway here in Tassie ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by werkhorse.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195336 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WheremEye
Paul

You should be disqualified for local knowledge! But first prize anyway.

Sailors Creek on the way to Cape York

Lang

More
5 years 8 months ago #195340 by Lang
Following Swishy's lead. Where is this little bloke?

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #195341 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic WheremEye
Horrie the wog dog outside the RSL in Corryong Vic

More
5 years 8 months ago #195342 by Swanny
He could hear the German Stukas coming before they could be seen and alert the soldiers thus saving many lives he became a hero in the eyes of the ANZACs

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195343 by Lang
That's right Swanny. Did you know or did Google photos find it for you?

Ion Idreiss' original book was a great story done in conjunction with Moody, the digger who owned Horrie.

There is a new book out not called "Horrie the Wog Dog" but "Horrie the War Dog" - God give me strength!
The author claims all sorts of things about the original book and has come up with new facts from family members who were not even born at the time. What is interesting is the story of the substitution for Horrie's execution by the Quarantine people of another dog from the pound. It seems like a likely story and obviously, they had to give no suggestion of such a scheme in the original 1946 story which ended in a sad footnote about Horrie's demise.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195344 by Swanny
Read the book about Horrie the war dog buy Roland Perry a few months ago .Found out the original name was Horrie the wog dog but had to be changed for the PC brigade . There are conflicting stories as to the dogs demise .I have yet to read the other version

More
5 years 8 months ago #195346 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic WheremEye
Will have to go digging in the book pile, have some old WWll books and certain one of them have the story in it.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 8 months ago #195347 by Lang
The original Horrie the Wog Dog is really the story of the Australians battles in the Middle East, Greece, and Crete. Horrie is the thread that joins the events into a good story about the group of diggers who were Horrie's family.

Although Roland Perry is an accomplished historian and author with several good military titles to his credit his books are obviously written by someone who has never been in the Army. Unlike Roland Perry, Ion Idreiss was a soldier (read "The Desert Column" about his Light Horse experiences in WW1) who understood the fine nuances of how the military works and how soldiers relate to each other. A much more satisfying book from my point of view.

Lang

More
5 years 8 months ago #195351 by Swanny
Thanks Lang::::That will be my next endeavour to read I'll be looking on the Booktopia website for a copy but fathers day is coming up maybe I might get a copy as a gift :lol: :lol:

Time to create page: 0.664 seconds