5 years 7 months ago #196194 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic WheremEye
Yes beautiful area, thought workhorse would guess it seeing he's a Taswegan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #196199 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WheremEye
Swanny

The Tasmanians need something to hang on to. It seems that the Wilmot store had nothing to do with THE George Coles other than he may have worked there for his dad, George Snr, for a short period. His dad owned several stores and the boys were brought up in the trade. He was obviously a good businessman allowing George and his brothers to go to good schools and later travel overseas.

If they want to include the father's stores in the G.J. Coles story they need to go back 30 years before the Wilmot acquisition in 1910.

Coles official history lists George Jnr (G.J.) opening of the city store in Collingwood in Melbourne in 1914 as his first start-up venture. His first personally owned store was in St James (Near Benalla in Victoria) where he bought his father's existing store. This was at the time his father bought Wilmot so one would presume he was busy running his own first operation without going to Tasmania to help his dad.

It was the "revolutionary" 5 and 10 cent style super store in Collingwood accompanied by slick American style advertising and marketing promotions that launched George Jnr onto the business stage, so different from his father's traditional style existing at the time.

Sir George James Coles (1885-1977), businessman and philanthropist, was born on 28 March 1885 at Jung Jung, near Murtoa, Victoria, second of ten children and eldest son of George Coles, storekeeper, and his first wife Elizabeth, née Scoular, both Victorian born. The family moved frequently, establishing several stores; George was educated at various state schools and as a boarder at Beechworth College.

In 1910, after working in Melbourne and in the country, George bought his father's store at St James. Three years later he decided to travel to the United States of America and Britain to observe the methods and style of retailing. He was greatly impressed by what he saw, particularly in the '5 and 10 cent stores', common in the U.S.A. In April 1914, in partnership with his brothers Jim and (Sir) Arthur, he opened a store in Smith Street, Collingwood.

Here is the full biography - very interesting.

adb.anu.edu.au/biography/coles-sir-george-james-9788
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 7 months ago #196208 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic WheremEye

Swanny wrote: Yes beautiful area, thought workhorse would guess it seeing he's a Taswegan

I try not to associate with that end of the State Swanny ... LOL ... And for that matter the southern part too

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
5 years 7 months ago #196217 by Swanny
Lang the clue I gave about the first Coles store was only what I was told when I visited the town of Wilmot. 1week after the store was burnt down, The people there were adamant it was the first Coles store to be built in Australia.Sorry my clue was misleading but I only went on what I was told by the good people Wilmot. Looking back they were seeking a bit of notoriety, having lost a big drawcard by fire to the town of Wilmot.

More
5 years 7 months ago #196220 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WheremEye
Swanny

There was absolutely no criticism or smart-arse reply to your clue just a really interesting Australian story attached to your mystery place. The whole Wherem Eye thread is a bit of fun and gets everyone thinking.

Keep up the good work.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #196233 by Swanny
Lang :No offence taken and I was enlightened by that Australian story on the history of Coles. An old bloke like me is always open to improve my knowledge Thank You

More
5 years 7 months ago #196260 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic WheremEye

dno wrote: Very nice area through there.
Happy for someone to post up another, "where am I"

Thanks DNO

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Attachments:

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 7 months ago #196264 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WheremEye
Wo bout

Shepparton Motor Museum

close or ...... no cigar

WotSezU?