Replied by cliffo on topic WheremEye
Marree Pub

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212022 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WheremEye
Cliffo

I agree with you.

Great destination. We had a night there with the Postie Bike Challenge in September last year after a lot of drama and broken people on the Birdsville Track.

Easy to get to from the south for anyone not wanting to drive on rough road. jump off point for Lake Eyre.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
3 years 10 months ago #212049 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic WheremEye
Yes, Marree Hotel (which doesn't carry a sign).
I was there overnight in 1977, connecting from a mixed train from Alice Springs into a mixed train to Port Augusta. Ghan made a direct connection.
AFAIK Marree was never a trucking route: Stuart Hwy was much further west, and avoided both Marree and Oodnadatta.
Marree was important as the southern railhead of the stock route from Birdsville.
Today, Marree is very much on the 4wd expedition circuit: an easy approach from the south, junctioning to the famous Birdsville Track to the north east, and the Oodnadatta track following the closed original railway route to the north-west. That hotel features on lots of travel blogs, and is known even by people who have never been there.
Hence, a self-serve beer under covid19 separation rules for cliffo, and his turn now.
Roderick

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 10 months ago #212050 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WheremEye
So wots the story of the Maree man
did they ever find what, who n how

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #212052 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic WheremEye

Swishy wrote: So wots the story of the Maree man
did they ever find what, who n how

cya

Yeah... I think they worked out it were Dick Smith who did it................

B)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by lantana jack.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212053 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WheremEye
No, Dick offered a $5,000 reward for the identity of the creator.

More
3 years 10 months ago #212077 by cliffo
Replied by cliffo on topic WheremEye
No good waiting for me to post a picture as posting a letter is the limit of my capabilities. As regards the Marree Man I was working with earthmoving gear in the general location and got the blame [or credit] for this but there was no way I could have done it. It is my personal view that you would need satellite guidance of some sort to get it as neat as it is and as it was done before guidance became available to the general public I think the army or some organisation did it as an exercise. Also even though it is in a remote area it is near impossible to move machinery around without someone either seeing it or the tracks it would leave. Just my thoughts

More
3 years 10 months ago #212080 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic WheremEye

cliffo wrote:
.....even though it is in a remote area it is near impossible to move machinery around without someone either seeing it or the tracks it would leave.

Yeah, it were Dick Smith with half a dozen victor lawnmowers hanging off the bottom of his helicopter. If yer looks closely you can see where Dick signed his name in the centre.....

;)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 10 months ago #212085 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WheremEye
Thinkn now
a few years back
there may have been mention of the U.S. military in the outback n used a grader probly with the scarifiers did a cupla laps around to make Maree Man using saterlite navigation
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 10 months ago #212093 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic WheremEye
Was it signed at the top of his legs?
Dick, that is!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.