Skip to main content

WheremEye

More
2 years 11 months ago #221987 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic WheremEye
Drive pass it everytime I pick stone at the quarry. recognize that big glassed in front room as Glenrowan pub.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221988 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic WheremEye
Correct with Glenrowan Hotel. It fronted the old Hume Hwy, on which I have driven many times. Although modern long-distance trucks are diverted via the freeway, HCVC''s Haulin' the Hume still drives that way, and many members have done so.
The pub was built as Railway Hotel, but had lost that name by the time I took the photo (and had lunch), in 1990.
The original would have been wooden, possibly built in 1873 (when the railway came through). IIRC it was burnt down by the Kelly gang. The two storey northern brick wing looks to be 1880s. The dutch gable southern brick wing (with the distinctive picture windows) looks to be a 1910 addition. The brick toilets look to be 1950s or 60s.
The quarry supplied railway ballast, and had a standard-gauge siding leading into it. That siding is now disused.
The usual reward and responsibility to roKWiz.

Roderick
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
2 years 11 months ago #221993 by roKWiz
Should be an easy one.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #221994 by roKWiz

Correct with Glenrowan Hotel.

The quarry supplied railway ballast, and had a standard-gauge siding leading into it. That siding is now disused.
The usual reward and responsibility to roKWiz.

Roderick

Thanks Roderick.
Interesting bird eye view poster they have hanging in the quarry office of the township before the freeway bypass was built.
The new road cut straight through the original oval with the old quarry entrance besides the spur line. On the freeway side of the quarry you can still see the rail tracks near what is now the maintainance buildings and with some of the track still visble crossing the old Hume.

Heritage Stonemason
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by roKWiz.

More
2 years 11 months ago #222000 by Roderick Smith
I don't know this one.
I'm guessing NSW, and probably Southern Highlands.
To be easy, it could well be on a NSW portion of the old Hume.
Roderick

More
2 years 11 months ago #222007 by roKWiz
You got NSW right.

Heritage Stonemason

More
2 years 11 months ago #222034 by Roderick Smith
The architecture was NSW, but I am on guesswork for the location.
Blue Mountains, a mansion turned into a b&b or reception centre. The surprise is the added large verandah.

Roderick

More
2 years 11 months ago #222049 by roKWiz
Difficult when its not a google pic eh.
There's nothing architecturally NSW about it btw. apart from Queen Anne elements.

Here's a clue, its a railway town. Surprised you not all over it.

Heritage Stonemason

More
2 years 11 months ago #222055 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic WheremEye
Bathurst NSW

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
2 years 11 months ago #222059 by geoffb

Time to create page: 0.634 seconds