Skip to main content

Quiz for Magirus nuts

• Topic Author
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25446 by
Replied by on topic Re: Quiz for Magirus nuts
Gday Dave

Are you suggesting Daimler for the engine ?
I would like to see your proof.
Please note the pic I have put up is 1906.

A few years later there were Morris Magirus fire engines built on a Dennis chassis and some went to Oz and NZ.

Jeff... there were also Old Mack Magirus models, there are recent macks with Magirus equipment, and most current manufacturers, Volvo, Scania, Hino, and of course IVECO and many more.

Cheers
RS :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
14 years 1 month ago #25447 by
Hey RS, your getting there now mate and it seems all the so called Magirus know all's are keeping quite on this one .
Yes the chassis did come from Dennis and now the last part of the Quiz is what powered it ???? and NO it wasnt a Daimler your right there. Dave :D

More
14 years 1 month ago #25448 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Re: Quiz for Magirus nuts
was it a White & Poppe?

• Topic Author
14 years 4 weeks ago #25449 by
G'Day Dave

I would like to make it clear that the pic I put up is of an earlier model than the one you are talking about.

I think it was a Dennis chassis. In around 1928-30, they had two chassis one with a Dennis 4 cyl 90hp known as the Big 4, and then after model with a Dennis 6 cyl 115hp, which got the name Big 6.

Grandad ... I may be wrong but I dont think White & Poppe, who got bought by Dennis, built an engine as powerful as 115hp.

I can find no documentation to confirm the engine.

So come on DD, give it up mate, and show your source please.

By the way for anyone interested there is a Morris Magirus for sale here in the UK, on eBay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/morris-magirus-fire-engin...?hash=item51916d13da

Cheers

• Topic Author
14 years 4 weeks ago #25450 by
Sorry to get you out of bed RS ;D and I have told you you can sleep easy .

And for the rest you blokes I will tell you it was was a 115hp six cyl Meadows petrol engine . Dave :) :)

• Topic Author
14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #25451 by

Sorry to get you out of bed RS ;D and I have told you you can sleep easy .

And for the rest you blokes I will tell you it was was a 115hp six cyl Meadows petrol engine . Dave :) :)

G'Day Dave..
Just for the record you were right TWICE !!
Once about the Meadows info which is all new to me, so thanks :)

But also to give all you lot, a good laugh :) :)
you were also right about the time, too !!

I had forgotten that 'British Summer Time' started here today, so when I said its 07.55 it was 08.55 :)
So thanks for the time check from the other side of the world. I will remember this Mate ;) ;) ;)

Cheers

More
13 years 10 months ago #25452 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Quiz for Magirus nuts

The winner will get one of Baz's cans of BUNDY ;D ;D :D

# 1 Morris - Magirus is a old fire engineering company that supplied complete fire appliances what was supplied by Magirus from the 1930's.

# 2 A truck chassis was badged Morris - Magirus but what company supplied the chassis.

# 3 And what engine was used in the Morris - Magirus. Dave :) ;)

John Morris & Co was an English manufacturer/supplier of mainly small items of fire fighting equipment, going back to the early 20th Century. They also made complete fire engines using other manufacturer's chassis and components.

They had the Commonwealth sales rights to Magirus equipment made in Germany, which they marketed under the Morris-Magirus brand. Turntable ladders were the main product of this relationship, and these were initially on horse drawn chassis (also sold as "Ajax" ladders). Early motorised versions were on Belsize chassis but from the 1920s they switched to Dennis. The wooden ladders of the 1920s were on 3 ton chassis powered by White & Poppe (owned by Dennis) 4 cyl T-head engines. The introduction of longer heavier steel ladders in the early 1930s saw a new 5 ton chassis used, powered by a Dennis 6 cyl sv engine. This was later replaced with a Meadows 6EX ohv unit. When Magirus dropped out of Commonwealth use in WW2, the same Dennis chassis was supplied to Merryweathers to mount their own ladders. The usual preactice was to remove the Dennis badging and fit "Morris Magirus" badges in lieu.

J Morris also made smaller conventional fire engines (pumpers, escape carriers, etc) using a variety of chassis - Dennis, Bedford, etc. These were sold just as J Morris.

John Morris had no connection to the Morris car company.

The Melbourne FB had a horse drawn MM ladder around 1906, it was later fitted to a Belsize chassis supplied by Morris - this chassis was still in existence in Victoria around 1970 and may still exist.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

• Topic Author
13 years 10 months ago #25453 by
G'day Beaver

Thanks for the info about John Morris and Co. :)

You say " Turntable ladders were the main product of this relationship,..."
The reason for this was that Magirus Feuerwehrwerke invented and patented the concept of the turntable ladder.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magirus

They have continued to manufacture fire fighting equipment to the current day, which is now fitted to many makes of chassis all over the world.
www.iveco-magirus.de/

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds