Skip to main content

OK, who knows what it is ?

More
13 years 4 months ago #40805 by greenie
Not a contest, just an inquiring mind, I would like to know what it is, please.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40806 by bigcam
Greenie, looks like a Leyland/AEC, or that sort of "oil engined lorry", that someone has got sick of being a road block and fitted, at a guess, looking at how much the cab has been lifted, a 6 cylinder Cummins, or similar, then has had to squeze a bigger radiator in.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40807 by werkhorse
To me it looks like a Scammell/Leyland Crusader bottom half with earlier AEC style cab.....was it called the Motor Panels cab ???

Here is the AEC cab........thanks Cam ;)

And if you look at the grille surround there are two little bars that go across above the head light, looks like they've been cut off, Well at least the centre section has been used and also the square mud guards look the same as the crusader.

Len Rogers photo borrowed from Hankstruckpictures

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40808 by Andy Wright
I agree, Werk and Cam. McCormick Deering cab perhaps? Just looking at that little badge under the middle of the windscreen.

Funky machine. Very cool.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40809 by werkhorse
McCormick Deering Cab sounds more like it 8-) 8-)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40810 by
Replied by on topic Re: OK, who knows what it is ?
Excuse my ignorance, but what the dickens is a McCormick-Deering cab? :-?

The cab is certainly very reminiscent of the late 1950's/early 1960's AEC and Leyland cabs .. but it's not quite right, in the shape under the windcreen.
The flat windscreens indicate a late 1950's cab design. By the early 1960's, the windscreens were becoming curved at the corners.

I've taken the liberty of doing some blowing up, cropping, and colour shading improvement with my imaging program .. and that emblem above the radiator cap does not appear to be an AEC emblem ..

More
13 years 4 months ago #40811 by bigcam
Hastings Deering I think are the words they are looking for.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40812 by Andy Wright
LOL, that's it, Cam, thanks. I've been hanging around Pat and his tractors too long. :o

OT, I've got a close-up of an HD emblem at home but in the interests of me not forgetting here's the pics I took a few year's ago of Brian Copley's rather lovely Mandator:

aec.fotopic.net/p30203653.html

aec.fotopic.net/p34252544.html

aec.fotopic.net/p34252545.html - this one has the HD emblem. Would you believe he did nothing to the interior?!

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
13 years 4 months ago #40813 by bigcam
There is only one reason someone goes to the trouble of raising a cab and fitting a bigger radiator, which is why I'm guessing a 6 cylinder Cummins, they are a pretty tall motor, if it had a GM in it, even a 6/71 isn't as tall as a Cummins. I know this doesn't rule out Gardner Caterpillar or even Rolls Royce, though the other reason Cummin's motors are popular is they are plentyfull and relativly cheap. Looks like a nice job in the pictures, what ever is in it.

• Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40814 by
Replied by on topic Re: OK, who knows what it is ?
Ahhh .. O.K. .. got it now. Yes, it's a Hastings Deering AEC cab that's been lifted, and had re-shaped front guards and a new, extended radiator surround.
Probably all due to fitment of a Cummins and a bigger radiator being needed.

I was initially puzzled, because what I thought was a depressed rib line under the windscreens, is actually just a chrome strip.

Those new front guards look reminiscent of an Emeryville International. I wonder if they were hinged, too?? :)

www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/tw.../2003/eville_frt.jpg

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds