Skip to main content

OK, who knows what it is ?

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40815 by greenie
Thanks to all who replied, general consensus is that it's of pommy heritage, but, it's still a "heinz bred bitza".

Much appreciated.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago #40816 by
Replied by on topic Re: OK, who knows what it is ?
I'm sorry fellas it could be a Foden and looks like one in the owned by Warrick Byrce. Dave

• Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #40817 by
Replied by on topic Re: OK, who knows what it is ?
Nope, not Warwick Bryce's Foden. His truck is a much older rig.

ccmv.fotopic.net/p54676270.html

More
13 years 4 months ago #40818 by cemeNTepede
The truck used to run into Alice,late 70's although I never actually saw it in the flesh.
There were pictures of it on the wall of the Alice Ampol roadhouse.
Led to believe it is a Crusader that was involved in some sort of accident and the owner
did the Hastings cab repair job himself.Probably had an old AEC in the long grass at his yard.The cab is high because the Hastings looks to have been mounted on the base of the original Motor Panels cab which,on Crusaders,had a near flat floor over an 8V-71.As far as I know GM/15sp R/R was the only offering in Au. and NZ.You could choose between the light Albion type diffs (as on this one) or the heavy Maudslay H/Rs.
The mudguards and main radiator surround are stock Crusader.The headlight panels look custom made with the light units from the AEC fitted.
I'm not sure that we're looking at the actual radiator,more likely a shutter.
Rads on the Crusaders were a hinged out item.Supposed to aid in servicing the engine
under a non tilt cab.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
13 years 4 months ago #40819 by mammoth
Hastings Deering Ltd (named after Mr Harold Hastings Deering) usual style of cab building was to start with manufacturers floor and firewall and go from there, The 'signature' of a Hastings Deering cab is the chrome trim on the doors, the sun visor and the quarter lights, in this case the later HD pattern as fitted to mkv AEC's.

More
13 years 4 months ago #40820 by bigcam
Mammoth, how much truth is there to the tale that Mr Hastings Deering, WW2 ace fighter pilot, landed in or near AEC's works and told them he wanted to be thier Australian agent?

More
13 years 4 months ago #40821 by mammoth
I have a recollection of reading something similar but can't think where. AEC did have a staff sports field adjacent to the works in west London so it would have been possible to land a small plane there.
Andy probably has a biography of Hastings Deering amongst his spitfire books.
Hastings Deering was the Australian agent for AEC up to early 60's - the take over by Leyland in 1962 probably being the end point for the franchise.

More
13 years 3 months ago #40822 by Malfunction
See here for short bio of HD
adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130678b.htm

Somewhere here I have tender submissions from his company for some bus chassis in late 40's.

A lot of the QANTAS stairs were made by HD and I wondered why they had Ford running gear, until I learnt he was the biggest Ford dealer anywhere.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds