Skip to main content

What on earth is this?

More
12 years 3 months ago #73027 by Cunning Stunt
I don't have an answer for you, just curious. RTHOF sent it to me, taken in the late 40's.

What do you reckon?? :-? :-? :-?

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #73028 by
Replied by on topic Re: What on earth is this?
CS - Well the truck is a bit of a mystery to me (a White?), but it appears that Mr Viner was a very old established Adelaide-based carrier, and a very progressive one at that.
I found the following article in the Adelaide "Mail", dated 25th May 1940, and it appears that perhaps that pantechnicon trailer was a first in Australia, and a very advanced item of equipment.
It appears that Mr. Viner was right up on the American way of doing things, transport-wise ..

"Progress Of Viner Co.

Mr. C. E. Viner, proprietor of the Viner Transport Co., of South Terrace, City, has been in the furniture removing business for more than 35 years, and can remember the days when the carriers stand was situated in Currie St., with the leading horse dray in line with King William St.
On his return home from the 1914-18 War, he established the business which has gone ahead by leaps and bounds since that time.
Included in the plant today are 50 sling transport vans engaged in removals by sea to all parts of the world, and Mr. Viner has many flattering testimonials paying tribute to the efficiency of the service.
One of the largest pantechnicons in Australia is included in the fleet. Having twice the capacity of the ordinary pantechnicon, it was built on the standard trailer specifications of the Allied Van Lines, the largest organisation of furniture movers in the United States.
It is the first such job made in Australia, according to the American specifications. There are no obstructions in the interior of the pantechnicon, which is insulated for coolness.
The specifications provide for interchangeability of the kingpin and turntable equipment, air brakes, and electrical couplings with all other Allied pantechnicons."

The advertising may state "Sydney-Melbourne-Perth", but I'll wager that nice rig never set foot on the Nullarbor track, as that was all it was in the 1940's.
Any furniture moved from anywhere on the East Coast to Perth would have gone by train or steamer, in the 1940's.
It wasn't until well into the early 1950's, that a few brave truckies ventured onto the track across the "long paddock" .. and they would have needed good money to cover the damage caused by that truck-wrecking piece of "road".

Cheers - Ron.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73029 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Front wheel trim and fuel tank, as well as long wheelbase suggest a converted bus.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73030 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Wheel trim would probably be a step ring, its a long way up through that door. ;D

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
12 years 3 months ago #73031 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Thats different.

Sort of reminds me of a removals mob who used to run up the east coast in the early 70's with a ex Mack fire truck converted to a prime mover - with the steerring wheel mounted dead centre. Looked a tad wild coming towards you with the driver sitting in the middle and an off side seated either side of him.

Oldfulla

More
12 years 3 months ago #73032 by clute
Replied by clute on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Hi,never saw anything like that before,it does look like a converted bus to me with that long wheelbase and lowered chassis.But I don't think that pic was taken in the '40's as there is a FX holden parked behind it.
Wellll ok, very late '40's ;)

Cheers Bruce.

"If it aint broke

12 years 3 months ago #73033 by
Replied by on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Looks like pommy axles with underslung springs on the rear maybe kirkstall diff or similar?????

More
12 years 3 months ago #73034 by stevejr
Replied by stevejr on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Would have to b very late 40's. The FX came out in Nov 1948
Steve

Mack R600 1975&&Dodge D5N 400&&Fe 35 1958&&Tea 20 1951 &&Tea 20 1952

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 3 months ago #73035 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: What on earth is this?

Stunning
Gudday M8
Gr8 Pix
Keep m cummin

Jist think n out loud here

But guess n way back then
many didn't have cars
so the Viner big rig twould roll up @ u're front door
U give him hand to load everything then the driver sets off on the big journey to
relocate U n the family to where ever
with ma n pa n the 8 kids in the back seats of the truck

WotSayU?

Close or no cigar
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 3 months ago #73036 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Re: What on earth is this?
You are spot on with that assumption Swishy. Back in the late 50's the Old Man decided that the country was better than the city, so it was a big move from Norwood to Piccadilly up in the Adelaide Hills. Viner did the move, a big old furniture truck (not the one in the pic), me, dear old Mum and my 2 sisters in the truck as well, and off we went. Took about 4 hours to get there, middle of summer, truck overheating all the time going up Greenhill Road.....a big adventure for a 9 year old. (It's about a 20 minute trip these days)

I still remember the ads they used to have on the wireless (no TV then)......YOU'LL MOVE FINER....WITH VINER.

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds