Skip to main content

What on earth is this?

More
12 years 3 months ago #73047 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Re: What on earth is this?
If the joker drivin the truck would move it, you could see the cars better.

Glad to see most of you guys call the Holden a 48-125. i don't think FX was an official GMH model.....but I could be wrong.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #73048 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: What on earth is this?
In a recent Restored Cars mag, a fellow who had worked on assembling these cars said that they came out with an improved front cross member during production of that model and that's how the FX title began. Cheers David.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #73049 by
Replied by on topic Re: What on earth is this?
g'day grumpy ...here's a clue to the FX/ 48-215 story.

they actually weren't called anything except holden till the FJ come along. then it became the ''old look'' holden as averse to the ''new look'' holden.

then when the FE came out they were buggered as to a designation for these earlier models as ''old'' then ''older look'' starts to become quite cumbersome.

the nasco people came to the rescue because of having to use proper terminology when someone wanted to order parts for their holden, so 48/215 FJ FE etc became the way to properly have the correct parts you needed.

the term ''FX'' was an in house engineering thing in about 1952 when they designed the new telescopic shock absorber front suspension, but once again the nasco guys picked up on this variance and by early 1960 the second hand car dealers started using this easier, abbreviated description

the rest is history ;) ;) ;D ;D

More
12 years 3 months ago #73050 by Cunning Stunt
Great answers and I love a strong debate ::)

My thoughts were bus chassis but considering the how scarce vehicles were post war, I would've thought second hand but rebodied. I was given the text that One Track put up at the beginning and that is the only info we had on the truck.

The car above the 48-215 is a 38 De Soto............Ron, that Hawk must've flown away ;D ;D

The text I was given came from a late 40's newspaper so that's where my time line came from.

I like the sunvisor :)

Some play hard to get

More
12 years 2 months ago #73051 by TJ
Replied by TJ on topic Re: What on earth is this?
Looks like a rear engine bus with the front lopped off and everything shifted to the rear. Is it rear steer lol? Th a pillar looks like a back pillar on a bus. Maybe the front was totaled. :P

And when he gets to Heaven

More
12 years 2 months ago #73052 by oldbob70
Replied by oldbob70 on topic Re: What on earth is this?
G`Day Ron

Re the comment about early trucks crossing the Nullarbour, in the early`50s.I was talking to the son of an truckie [in the early 70s ],and he said the going rate to Sydney--Perth in those days was 100 Pounds a ton--There were no agents and His father and his mate used to advertise in Wa and spend a week or so doing all their pickups [bits and pieces] before setting off for Norsman,do some shopping , Two Drums of Petrol on the Hungry board , head just out of town stop where they would cook up a big feed,camp for the night, then head off to the next stop at Eucla station [no roadhouse then]
I dont know what a 100 pounds would equate to in todays dollars but in1972 Melbourne---Perth Rate was $66 a ton.
Oldbob

More
12 years 2 months ago #73053 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: What on earth is this?
100 pounds a ton! No wonder everything went by ship or train. If you say a tradesman earned 25 pounds a week then and 700 pounds a week now this would make it 2,800 pounds or $5,600 a ton now.

Where is the nearest truck sales yard?

Lang

Time to create page: 0.443 seconds