Skip to main content

What bus is this?

More
12 years 2 months ago #73726 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: What bus is this?
This may have been this very bus!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73727 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: What bus is this?
I think the bus in that photo is pre-war wherea ther bus in subject is postwar. Both had similar bodies, probably by Commonwealth Engineering.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #73728 by
Replied by on topic Re: What bus is this?
The bus in Langs last photo, with the kids lining up to board, is definitely late 1940's or maybe even early 1950's.
The reason being, this bus is an AEC MK III Regal, and the bus body design follows the post-war Comeng design.

If it was a pre-War bus, it would be an AEC MK II Regal, and both the bus front, and bus body design, are substantially different.

AEC ceased all civilian vehicle production in 1939 and did not re-commence civilian bus and truck production until 1947.

Prior to WW2, the bus building operation was known as the Waddington Body Co. During WW2, Waddingtons tendered for Govt wartime projects .. in particular, a large number of Bellman hangars, and a contract for steel trucks for the NSW Railways .. and ran into financial difficulties completing the Railways contract. Waddingtons had already been having financial problems, the War just made them worse.

In 1942, representations were made to the Govt, and Treasurer Ben Chifley organised a deal (which involved passing special legislation) .. whereby the Federal (Commonwealth) Govt bought a majority shareholding in Waddingtons (the Commonwealth held 31 of the 60 ordinary shares on issue), and took over responsibility for their debts and paid out the guarantors of Waddingtons.
The Federal Govt also approved and backed a huge operating overdraft for the company .. initially

More
12 years 2 months ago #73729 by Beaver
The bus in Lang's picture has a fluted side cover over the engine, which was a feature of pre-war AECs. This cover also had an exposed oil filler, and was hung by clips off the hinged top cover. There are also some subtle differences in pre-war and post war radiators.

The 1948 bus has a plain side cover, which was screwed into place with two large knurled round head bolts.

There are also differences in the mudguards of the two eras.

The 1948 photo shows the double destination box I described earlier. It is easy to see where the air intake has been placed over it. There are still a few of this series around in various states of preservation.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

12 years 2 months ago #73730 by
This following pic shows an AEC MK III Regal produced in 1947, still fitted with the louvred side curtains on the engine.
It's entirely possible the 1947 MK III models were still using some pre-WW2 components?

12 years 2 months ago #73731 by
Maybe one like this

Trevor

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #73732 by Beaver

This following pic shows an AEC MK III Regal produced in 1947, still fitted with the louvred side curtains on the engine.
It's entirely possible the 1947 MK III models were still using some pre-WW2 components?

AEC model designations seem very complicated. The Regent/Regal III models used the 9.6 litre engine, which first appeared in the pre-war London RT class in 1939. There was never a Mk I or Mk II in either model; these were just Regal/Regent with a mdel designation like O.661, O.662, etc to designate whether they had 7.7 or 8.8 diesels, or different again if petrol engined.

It is probable that the Hunter Valley unit pictured was a carry over 7.7 or 8.8 still being manufactured (run out cheaply) after WW2.

SloSpeed's photo appears to be of an ex MMTB Melbourne bus.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Beaver.

More
12 years 2 months ago #73733 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: What bus is this?
Dear Lang, Bus details, we have been driving it and went and stopped well.The truck had a cracked injector pump so the pump was transferred over. I have acquired another but need the brass spacer between vacuum pump and injector otherwise it going. It started out as a half cab, I suspect the cab was altered when it was converted to mobile home it is in need of redoing. Total length 9 meters. Width 2.4 meters. Front overhang 300ml. Back overhang 2.4 meters. Id Plate has been removed. Stamped on chassis 6821a405. A south australian rego plate UZA.420 is still on it. I don,t know where this is going but I,ve rescued the first step and don,t have resources to continue the project. Vintage in this condition very very rare. Anyone interested is welcome out here I have plenty of water and space so I,m just seeing where this goes. As much as I would like something for them these vehicles are more than me and are going to be around a lot longer than you and I. Regards Daniel

More
12 years 2 months ago #73734 by Beaver
I have cross-linked this topic onto the ATDB forum, so will see what responses come in.
www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65599

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
12 years 2 months ago #73735 by Beaver
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCurrently on eBay is this Perth built variant of a Regal III

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds