Skip to main content

Mystery petrol-delivery truck

More
12 years 2 months ago #74157 by Roderick Smith
From a petrol-station group.
The poster requested an identification of the truck, and none has appeared yet.

The first petrol pump in Bundaberg (Qld).

<www.flickr.com/photos/rosco500/6692595675/in/pool-1256793@N23>

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74158 by Chocs
Topic variance:

There ya go..

Looks like a 'right coast' fuel delivery too....
No static strap there..
Obviously running the full earth hose.. :D :D

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 2 months ago #74159 by Lang
I would go for a TT Ford truck set up with solid wheels.

12 years 2 months ago #74160 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mystery petrol-delivery truck
I would suggest that this may very well be an early WHITE perhaps a model 15 or a model 20 . Plume used a many USA heavy duty trucks namely WHITE and MACK imported from the States . This vehicle has all the hallmarks of a White , running boards , hand brake , rear track rod on diff as both ends of spring hangers had shackles , along with front guards but as always I do stand to be corrected . ::)

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74161 by Lang
Ford TT is certainly too light. Bonnet seems too low for White and wheel pattern does not match any of the Whites I have found so far.

Mack also has a much higher bonnet and radiator. Wheel pattern closer but still not it.

Found a 1922 International that comes close in the guard and bonnet profile and chassis rail.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Lang.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 2 months ago #74162 by Swishy

WAG
U gunna have to work hard to talk me outa AB Mack 1924

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74163 by
I think Highwheeler's on the money. The "Plume" brand of fuel was one of the brands of the Vacuum Oil Co. From the Cairns Post, dated April 25, 1927 .. no picture, unfortunately ..

"VACUUM OIL ENTERPRISE.

SERVICE BULK TRUCK TO FILL "PLUME" BOWSERS.

Increased business of the Vacuum Oil Co. in Cairns and the Tableland was the cause of the recent purchase of a new "White" motor truck, to serve local bowser pumps.
The Cairns manager (Mr. A. Lucas) has persistently advocated the use of one of these trucks, and the result has been the arrival by the Chronos, of the first truck to be used north of Townsville.

AT WORK.

The truck excited interest in the city yesterday, and was particularly attractive to the boys, who swarmed over it at every street turn.
This particular class of truck has come into common use in U.S.A., and to a lesser extent in Australia.
lt has magneto ignition, and possesses a battery for lighting and starting. The tyres are solid Goodyear.

CAPACITY.

Of immediate interest, of course, is the tank, which is in three compartments holding 200 gallons each.
To each compartment is fitted a tap at the rear, and a delivery hose running along each side of the bulk tank connects from a tap to the bowser to be filled.
There are about 19 of these pumps in Cairns, and on the Tableland, each holding 500 gallons, so that the need for such an expeditious method of refilling should be apparent to car owners.

A difficulty in the way to serving the Tableland appears to be the restriction by the Main Roads Board that the limited weight of a truck on the roads is four tons.
The Vacuum Companys new truck, when filled, weighs 5 tons 15 cwt., and efforts are being made to have the limit advanced to 6 tons.
A safety provision on the new "White", truck is that each tank compartment is fitted with a safety valve manhole.
In hot weather, if the gas pressure in the tank goes beyond a certain maximum intensity, the surplus is allowed to escape through the valves.
The bulk truck marks another instance of increasing business needs in Cairns."

The truck appears to have a 3-compartment tank, and it the Vaccum Oil Co would have purchased trucks similar to those used in the U.S. .. and in the early days at least, probably multiple units of the same make.

12 years 2 months ago #74164 by
Swishy - Not a problem talking you around to our way of thinking .. :D

1. The wheel castings are different on the Mack. The spokes and the shape of the holes are subtly different to the White.

2. The bonnet (oops, hood) is much higher on the Mack.

3. The Plume tanker isn't chain drive.

However, IDSTBC, as you're wont to say .. :D

More
12 years 2 months ago #74165 by bigcam
I'm sort of siding with Clarke, not that I have a clue, but here is one of I would guess a similar vintage.

12 years 2 months ago #74166 by
As always onetrack , great research and I definitely think Cam is well on the money also . This link to a previous photo on the forum shows a very similar White , cheers Clarke . ;D

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1300708856

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds