Skip to main content

Radiator Cap

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #217551 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Radiator Cap
Allan

What you need is antifreeze in your water tank. Glycol (Ethyl alcohol) does the job but a minor side effect is it will send you blind.

The obvious thing Methyl alcohol. Proven safe by 60 million Russians I would recommend you pouring in to your house tank 200 bottles of vodka to stop freezing. Even if it did not work you would not give a stuff.

Now I wonder if that would stop COVID 19? A shot of Vodka with every glass of water?

You do not need expensive glycol additives to prevent freezing. Common things like sugar, salt and calcium chloride will knock the freeze point down to about -6 degrees. Sugar can leave residue in overflow pipes when it dries and salt is probably not a good idea corrosion-wise long term (although they use it on icy roads everywhere in the world).

Calcium Chloride, which is found as a preservative in many foods and bottled water, is pretty benign and very effective. Calcium Chloride is a salt and is used on icy roads very extensively to melt the ice. As they spread thousands of tons every year, common salt - Sodium Chloride - kills all the roadside vegetation and contaminates the waterways. Calcium Chloride is now the road salt of choice because it does not harm vegetation or the environment once diluted.

According to expert opinion, calcium chloride is safe to consume. It's added to water for taste and serves as an electrolyte to keep you from getting dehydrated.Jul 24, 2020

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217553 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Radiator Cap

allan wrote: Doesn't happen every year, but I have household water pump freeze up every now and then (3 times this past year.)

Might want to get some old carpet underlay and just lag the pipe with a few layers

Had a heck of a frost one morning and it froze the air start valve on the tank and couldn't start Mrs Mack

Brrrr

Have read that over in Pomy land they parked the crawler tractors up on railway sleepers to stop the tracks freezing solid over night

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:

More
3 years 3 months ago #217556 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Radiator Cap
I thought glycol destroyed solder in radiators.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217558 by Lang
Here is everything you never needed to know about coolants from Penrite.

www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pdf/tech/Nov2015/Coolants.pdf

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 3 months ago #217559 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Radiator Cap
Mrs
gudday m8
is your mack start
electric ovr air ovr air
if so have u tried pushn a ball point pen up the orofice of the electric start gizzmo
we mainly start m th@ way with a flat battery
butt may help with a iced up air line
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 3 months ago #217563 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Radiator Cap
Tried that Swishman, in the end a few kettles full of hot water got things warm enough when poured over the valve

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 months ago #217566 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Radiator Cap
Were I live in Australia the choice is simple, anti freeze or split block even in the shed, 1100 meters -8 common, -14 not uncommon
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #217568 by Lang
Louis where do you live? Here are the state all time records. I am sure it is cold but the BOM all time cold record for Oberon is -0.5 degrees. You are probably higher than the town and temperature drops 3 degrees every 300m in height.

−23.0 °C (−9.4 °F) New South Wales Charlotte Pass 29 June 1994 The coldest place in Australia. This is a freak recording (as are all the records below) with the Charlotte Pass average annual lowest -6 Degrees
−13.0 °C (8.6 °F) Tasmania Butlers Gorge 30 June 1983
−11.7 °C (10.9 °F) Victoria Falls Creek 3 July 1970
−10.6 °C (12.9 °F) Queensland The Hermitage 12 July 1965
−8.2 °C (17.2 °F) South Australia Yongala 20 July 1976
−7.5 °C (18.5 °F) Northern Territory Alice Springs 17 July 1976
−7.2 °C (19.0 °F) Western Australia Eyre Bird Observatory 17 August 2008
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #217572 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Radiator Cap

Lang wrote: the BOM all time cold record for Oberon is -0.5 degrees.

www.farmonlineweather.com.au/climate/sta...jsp?lt=site&lc=63063

Edit, The All time January Low is -0.5 degrees

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by hayseed.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217573 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Radiator Cap
Don't know what you are looking at Lang but -8 is not unusual here and I have seen -14. A lot of official temps are taken at post offices so quite sheltered from frost. What I do know is that when it comes to forecasting frost BOM wouldn't know it's arse from elbow, totally and consistently hopeless.
Also, frost falls to the lowest point in the landscape, so to escape the cold you go up the hill. Different situation to flying at altitude in open air.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds